• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Need some ASS-istance!

Big Daddy Kane

Hard-core CEG'er
So uhh yeah... Some of you may have seen my PO'd posts since they changed the regulations for us in Germany.

For those who don't, here's a little rundown... It used to be pretty much "anything goes" over there with the "USA" plates. Now they are giving us actual German plates to help us blend in (even though it's pretty easy to spot a US/Japanese car with the US-sized plate holder!). Because of that, we now have to follow German inspection laws.

The KMC inspection station failed me for having too loud of exhaust (as well as my sticky rear caliper, but that's besides the point). I had to remove the plates and de-register it before I deployed. Now they're going as far to fail people for having ANY sort of aftermarket tint on the 2 front windows. Also in the new regs are things like no aftermarket rims, suspension, and body/frame modifications. Ghey, but it's German law...

=========================================

Now here comes my delimma... I've got the following on my SVT:

WR headers - custom Y pipe - full 3" exhaust - Three 3"/3" Dynomax Ultra Flows - 3.5" tips

Since you can see right through the mufflers, they are pretty much there for looks.

I need to get this thing below 70dB at 0.5m at a 45° angle to the rear of the car to get it registered for another year (among other things like removing the tint :mad:) .

What is the difference between a resonator and a muffler?

If I add a resonator before the center Dynomax, will it drastically reduce the sound?

What about a high flow cat?

Stock SVT resonator? (yes, I realize it's not 3", but I'm kinda desperate!)

I've spent thousands on this car over the 2.5 years I've had it, and I think this is the last straw... I really don't want to spend another $500 on exhaust, then fail next year for suspension!

A resonator IS a muffler, but a small one. Install the longest muffler you can where the resonator goes and it will make it much quieter. Unfortunately when it come to exhaust, it is pretty much try something and test it.

How does the test work?

Do you have to rev your engine at a certain RPM?

Yep... forgot to mention that...

The test is a big open area where there are no obstructions (buildings, etc) within a 50m diameter circle around the car. Meter at a 45° angle 0.5m away from the back of the car. Engine revved to 1/2 of redline (no idea how they figure this out on vehicles w/o a tach!).

That 1/2 of redline is where I suck at. Exhaust is fairly quiet off the throttle, but as soon as you're in it, it's over!

A resonator IS a muffler, but a small one. Install the longest muffler you can where the resonator goes and it will make it much quieter. Unfortunately when it come to exhaust, it is pretty much try something and test it.

Thanks... needed to clear that up!

I was thinking about stuffing the biggest thing I could find in there! Guess I'll try to find a chambered muffler or something.

I should throw this sucker on there and call it good! Only 24.5" case length...

Having to aquire stuff and install it on the car is exactly the problem they're having at the base welding shop. For years they haven't had to think about noise, and now they're expected to follow the regulations when installing parts.

I was thinking this morning of selling off the SVT as soon as it passes and trying to find a Marauder back home and shipping it over.

That Dynomax muffler you linked to is 9" in diameter. I don't think you have room. Look for an oval muffler of about that length.

Yeah, me either! I just saw "RV" and the length! It's also a glass pack around preforated tube, which is essentially what I have now, just longer.

More I think about it, I think I'll need a chambered muffler to really cut the noise down. I'm not worried about power loss since it doesn't do me any good parked!

Kane
Add a baffle to the end of each of your pipes.

Just take a piece of Steel, Drill holes in it, Cut in a circle the size of the exhaust and attach.
Leave them on there for the inspection, take them off when done.

This will DRASTICALLY drop the noise out put.

Weve got an 89 Ford F250 with a 460 CI Motor.
1 3/4 Full Length Long tube Headers, Into OPEN exhaust, meaning no mufflers or resonators or cats. The pipe runs the full length of the truck out the back.
At WOT 45 yards away the decibels are near 120. (With out the baffles)
With them in @ WOT from 45 yards it is less than 30 Decibels.

Kane
Add a baffle to the end of each of your pipes.

Just take a piece of Steel, Drill holes in it, Cut in a circle the size of the exhaust and attach.
Leave them on there for the inspection, take them off when done.

This will DRASTICALLY drop the noise out put.

Are these like the SuperTrapps?

Sounds like an easy idea... will the 3.5" tips interfere with them, like should I make them to fit that, or go farther back to the pipe itself?

More than likely I'll just leave them in there to not get bothered by the Polizei.

Back