• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Upgrades for kit?

my98SVTturbo

Hard-core CEG'er
im planning on buying the nautilus turbo kit around august. What needs to be upgraded for this kit? if anything. (clutch,lsd,flywheel,spark plug wires. etc....)

without hard shifts and just enjoying gears without powershifting, i beleive this kit would be fine stock.

but even with my spec stage one and my KDW2s i have broken 6 cv joints in the last year.

damn 5500 rpm launches and my powershifts :):):)

I toasted my clutch in 2nd running a 75 shot. Running the turbo kit on the stock diff and clutch is going to be boring as hell as your restricted to low rolls and no launching. That being said, you can run it with the stock gear.

Everybody keeps saying flywheel but I don't think the flywheel is necessary to upgrade. All the aftermarket ones available are just lighter not necessarily stronger so upgrading would be nice to improve your throttle response but otherwise it's not a necessity. Just make sure you have it machined.

Clutch- yes
LSD- yes
Flywheel- why wouldn't you?
spark plugs- yes
Wires- I dont think you have to

relocate your battery
injectors- come with kit

Search man.

i did searxh but didnt come up with too much..the main reason i asked this was becuase i wanna get the kit on asap. im planning on upgrading the hardware but not just yet. I just wanted to make sure the engine could handle the turbo for a little while with out blowing up or what ever. thanks for the information everyone. I apriciate it

i did searxh but didnt come up with too much..the main reason i asked this was becuase i wanna get the kit on asap. im planning on upgrading the hardware but not just yet. I just wanted to make sure the engine could handle the turbo for a little while with out blowing up or what ever. thanks for the information everyone. I apriciate it

It' not the engine you have to worry about, it's that hand grenade of a differential that will do you in.

Yeah it will work fine with stock hardware at moderate boost levels and even with spirited driving. Remember, nothing will survive continual high rpm clutch drops though.

Everybody keeps saying flywheel but I don't think the flywheel is necessary to upgrade. All the aftermarket ones available are just lighter not necessarily stronger so upgrading would be nice to improve your throttle response but otherwise it's not a necessity. Just make sure you have it machined.

The main reason the flywheel usually gets recommended is because it's cake to install if you already have the tranny pulled for the clutch and LSD. Not one reason why you wouldn't want to do it.

The main reason the flywheel usually gets recommended is because it's cake to install if you already have the tranny pulled for the clutch and LSD. Not one reason why you wouldn't want to do it.

....... other than the $300 pricetag. For someone on a budget, lightening the stock flywheel would be a good upgrade.

Mark

....... other than the $300 pricetag. For someone on a budget, lightening the stock flywheel would be a good upgrade.

Mark

Sorry, I should of put only one reason. That was my reason why my car didn't get one during the 3L swap. Ran out of cash. :mad:

I am keeping my stock flywheel with the 3L Turbo going it. Sure I like the extra 300 but also figured that with a little extra rotating mass the stage 3 clutch would be a bit more friendly on the street. Dont know for sure yet as its in about 900 pieces at the moment.

Actually, there are a few very valid reasons not to replace a good stock SVT flywheel with an aftermarket flywheel. No reason to ridicule those that don't wish to change them.

Not disagreeing at all, but why wouldn't you want to change it?

I was planning on going with a SPEC flywheel in the future when I beef up the tranny more, but now I'm not sure.

Not disagreeing at all, but why wouldn't you want to change it?

I was planning on going with a SPEC flywheel in the future when I beef up the tranny more, but now I'm not sure.

1. As Todd mentioned, its harder to drive smoothly. As much as we all hate to admit it, our contours aren't race cars, and the SVT flywheel is already pretty darn light for a street car engine.

2. Crank durability. The Duratec crank is already known to be sensitive to the damper end for crank flex, the flywheel does the same thing on the other end. Thankfully, it doesn't appear to be nearly as susceptible on the flywheel end, but it's still a valid concern.

3. Cost. It's an extra $300 or so for something that makes the car less enjoyable when cruising around town in exchange for a little bit quicker revving.

Those are the big reasons IMNSHO, and were the main reasons why I chose to stick w/ the stock flywheel on my car, even if I decide to go turbo later on.

You make great points rara. But learning how to drive it smooth takes all of about a day to get used to. Not a big deal at all. The pros are much larger then the cons in my book.

I would pass on the SPEC flywheel. Not an upgrade that's all that great once you turbocharge a CSVT, especially one with a 3L.

But, with the SPEC, it wasn't hard at all to use as a DD. I still would not get another for an FI CSVT.

Just remember that when you make it a 3L or 2.5L turbo, you have way more power to accelerate that flywheel, bigger rims/tires, etc.

I understand lightened flywheels on hondas and other passenger cars that came with heavy flywheels. But on the SVT there was never a complaint about slow revving.

Back