• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I need a water pump. Help!!!

s.rich06

CEG'er
I need a water pump. Quick. Do I do it myself or pay to get it done? If I do replace it myself will it be hard? What do I need to have replace along with it, if i need anything? I have a 95 2.5 v-6 se model. Please help me!!!

probably THE easiest repair to the V6 Duratec you can get!

Save your money, do it yourself!

do I have to mess with the timing belt?

No you don't. The water pump on the 2.5 is on the driver side of the engine and runs off it's own belt via the cam. Reading through the FAQ will answer any more questions, I think. Fairly easy repair, just be sure to get the proper water pump - either metal impeller or white plastic. I'm told pumps from the dealer include a whole new assembly, housing & all.

i called a shop. they said in order to change my water pump you must take the timing belt off? Where is the timing belt?

i called a shop. they said in order to change my water pump you must take the timing belt off? Where is the timing belt?

Let me join the others on the forum here in trying to save you headache. Your car does not even have a timing belt. Chain, yes, but you don't even have to muck with that. Open the hood. Pull the plastic vanity cover, and look on the facing right (driver's) side of the engine. There's a small, three ribbed belt there driving the water pump. Even better, the pulley is spring loaded, so once you push on it, it will allow you to remove the belt. The how-to in the FAQ is great, and has some slick pictures that one of the CEGers was nice enough to post.

Ford will even include the hoses with the front and back halves of the pump, and the whole assembly is short money.

Additional note: You don't want this shop working on your car. They've already failed the test, and they've not even picked up a wrench yet. Reminds me of all the wrong info that's out there about SHOs -- "Oh, yeah, that's a boat motor, right?", etc.

Not to be a dick, but you posted your question under Duratec Maintenance, I gave you a link with pictures showing where everything is. The V-6 has timming chains. Tell the guy it's a V-6 and it has chains. If he insists its a belt hang up the phone he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Additional note: You don't want this shop working on your car. They've already failed the test, and they've not even picked up a wrench yet. Reminds me of all the wrong info that's out there about SHOs -- "Oh, yeah, that's a boat motor, right?", etc.

On the Zetecs, you have to take off the timing belt to get to the water pump. So maybe there is confusion on the shops part?

I would suggest going to PartsAmerica.com (used by Advance and Checker,Shucks, Cragen) and get the part # you need. The waterpump is the same on all 2.5 and 3.0 as far as I know.

Here's a link. Be sure to get a new waterpump gasket as well.

http://www.partsamerica.com/product...1C&MfrPartNumber=A5523512&PartType=54&PTSet=A

If you haven't got yourself a new metallic propeller water pump -- I happen to have one in my hand. It was purchased from a Napa Auto store. Never installed, comes with new gasket. I was charged around $80, but you can have it for $55 because I simply have no use with it. Advanced Auto Parts and Pepboy's propeller is made of plastic.

I am in Columbia, so it's very close to where you are. Just let me know.

Question may seem crazy, but other that over heating how will I konw when to replace this, I have 101000 miles on it now? Is it just a mileage thing

Well, its easier to upgrade before it fails, because if it does fail (not saying all are doomed) and if it shatters, then you may have plastic pieces getting jammed in coolant passages. Thats why its better to do it before a problem occurs. And for roughly $60 its a pretty cheap maintenance to perform.

yea its very easy to replace. I replaced mine in about 1 hour. Mine was leaking from the gasket badly. Thats how i knew mine was bad

Ther is no water leak but I do smell oil from time to time and when I changed it I saw oil on the exhaust pipe, but ther is never any on the ground so the leak is super slow I guess, do have any idea y my HIDs dont ignite? Ive got the basic ballast, that hooks to the factory harness set up

Go to the gallery section of the CEG homepage, and click on cutaway view of the duratec. Look at the backside where the flywheel is, you will see the belt that drives the water pump!

Back