• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Torn over selling my money pit...

plance1

CEG'er
Cincinnati, OH and its step-child, Northern Kentuc
My brain says "sell" you need the money...

My gut? (can't be my heart, I'm a republican and don't have one) says don't sell, you have too much invested, keep the car dumba$$.

Letting go is so hard to do...

Maybe I should flip a coin? Heads I keep the car on the market, tails I take down the ad.

Maybe I should take a poll?

Chances are you'll eventually jump right into another money pit.
But go ahead and sell it.
It seems people who get into these dilemmas hold onto the car far too long, and then regret not selling when they first had that inkling.
Just do it and get it over with, like ripping a bandaid off.

Chances are you'll eventually jump right into another money pit.
But go ahead and sell it.
It seems people who get into these dilemmas hold onto the car far too long, and then regret not selling when they first had that inkling.
Just do it and get it over with, like ripping a bandaid off.

Then you hear all the former SVT owners going "what did I do?!?!" and then scramble trying to fina another one in decent shape.

I'm kind of inclined to agree with Kim, though I can't guarantee that you'll spend the ranch on the next car.

I had $11,000 into my '94 SHO after owning her for only two years -- she turned out to be a great car, I just didn't need the stress of the two ladies. Besides, I sweat the details, and maintaining two cars to a high standard got a bit rich for my blood.

Point -- I sold the SHO, took a hefty loss (it was a labor of love, not a venture for profit), and am so much happier with just my SVT. The SVT is gorgeous, clean, and much younger, so its also more rewarding to work on when necessary. I'm doing all the 100K stuff at this point, and the car will operate as new when I'm done. And I'm not broke. Balls to it, as they say. :cool:

I vote yes - time to sell.

I've sold two cars that were rocks on my finances over the last 10 years.
Car #1 '66 Chevy Bel-Aire
Car #2 '92 BMW 3-series
I missed them both for about a year after the sale.
The BMW was the most expensive and I was glad to see it go as it was starting to rust underneith. Don't even ask about the insurance.

I've learned with my current car to take my time and plan my mods only when something really needs to be replaced. I think it's kept me from over spending and it' still a fun car to drive.

Originally Posted by LauraSVT
I had $11,000 into my '94 SHO after owning her for only two years --

I put 2k into my '93 over that time and I thought that was rough.:crazy:

It was wild, to be sure. I bought her as a project, make no mistake, but my focus shifted as the gig unfolded. At first, I thought, "We'll do the key things -- just sort her out and enjoy her -- doesn't have to be perfect." But it turned into the hypothetical home improvement project, where near every sentence began with "While we're at it..." Before too much time went by, we'd addressed virtually every system, minor and major. Seems to me that there were new parts on the car than original. Just for kicks, if you're interested, here's the list:

The entire upper intake manifold assembly was disassembled, and the following items were cleaned:

n Upper intake runners
n Intake plenums
n Crossover tube
n Secondary butterfly assemblies
n Head intake ports
n Throttle body
n Stock airbox
n Plug wells

The following new parts were installed:

Engine / driveline / emissions / exhaust –

n Low mileage engine (completely sealed – all new valve cover and spark plug gaskets, as well as a new rear main seal) with all new rod bearings – valve shims were inspected and replaced, as needed, per factory specifications.
n Motorcraft AGSP32PP spark plugs
n Motorcraft spark plug wires
n Timing belt
n Crank position sensor
n Cam position sensor
n Intake manifold assembly gaskets
n Intake runner-to-head gaskets
n Plug well seals
n Cam cover gaskets
n Front crank seal
n Fuel filter
n Accessory belt(s)
n Air filter
n EGR
n DPFE
n Vacuum solenoid
n Subframe bushings
n Transmission mount
n Motor mounts
n Silicone intake runner seals
n Remanufactured SHO transmission
n Transmission pan gaskets
n Fresh Mercon III transmission fluid
n Transmission fluid filter
n O2 sensors
n Vehicle speed sensor
n Y-pipe with catalytic converters
n Oil sensors

Cooling system –

n Water pump
n Thermostat
n Temp sender
n Temp sensor
n Upper radiator hose
n Lower radiator hose
n Coolant 50/50

Interior / Exterior --

n Hard button Electronic Automatic Climate Control (EATC)
n New headlights and corner lamps (all front light housings replaced)
n New fog lights with bulbs

Suspension / Brakes --

n Front Motorcraft struts and mounts
n Rear Motorcraft struts and mounts
n Front sway bar links
n Rear sway bar links
n Rear 26 mm sway bar
n BF Goodrich g-Force Sport 225/55ZR-16 tires
n Earl’s stainless steel brake lines (all four)
n Brake rotors and pads (all four)
n ’96 brake upgrade
n Left and right half shafts
n Left front Timken wheel bearing
n Left and right tie rod ends
n Brake hard lines
n Left and right lower control arms and ball joints
n Left and right strut rod
n Left and right strut rod bushings

I think its hard to give him advice when he hasn't stated what he's spent on the car and hasn't said if there is anything else that needs to be done. Also you have to consider his finances. Sure you could sell the car and buy one a couple years newer, but than before you know it, you will have all the same kind of problems again. If your going to buy another car I'd say only if you are going to buy a real new car, like 1-3 years old. Or one that has low mileage. If not just ride out your current bad luck of having to fix the car up and before you know it all the problems you had will be fixed and you will have a car full of new parts!:laugh:

Yeah after reading LauraSVT's last post, cut your losses when you've spent more than 3 times the amount the vehicles worth:blackeye:

Last edited:
I had a 90 mustang LX that I put what I considered alot of money and alot of time into, however it was getting old and I got that new car bug...ended up with the shiny new Contour SVT which I still own....now I don't regret buying the SVT as it has served me well, however I still to this day regret selling that Mustang and always wish I could still have it...there was nothing special about the car per say, but I loved all the work I did to it and how it drove...

If you do dump what you have because the grass is greener just make sure that you will love whatever you get as a replacement.

You need to go with your gut.

Im currently rebuilding my car with a 3.0 liter and turbo down the road. Little snags here and there and I want to just cut losses and sell. I havent yet driven it in its reborn state, and I keep trying to look on the bright side.

However, since you've already gotten yours built, and you dont seem to be as interested in it you may want to sell. You'll miss it, but you will probably enjoy the money in your bank (oh wait..... Your getting married :crazy:)

Im leaning towards keeping it. I am just tired of people ignoring the price I posted and giving me low ball offers and then getting pissy with me when I don't jump at their offers. Even if their offers are more reflective of market conditions, its starting to seem that I should just hang on to it, its just not worth it to sell. Hey, I can always just postpone the wedding right??? Haha.

well, unfortunatley your modifications dont add any value to the vehicle... Unless you're selling to the right person

Back