• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

idle vibration...

zorrex

Enjoys the Abuse
so as u can see by the title, i have a vibration when im idling. however, it's only when im in drive. if the car's in park it idles fine and sounds a bit under 1000 rpm like it should. when im in drive the car sounds like its idling where it should be, but my car vibrates, esp. in the steering wheel. if im not holding the wheel the air bag actually makes a ticking noise from being banged around so much :bah: . i took a good look and its vibrating back and forth a good 3-4 mm, and i can even see my dash vibrating! its crazy. ive had issues with my MAF sensor in the past, but this time i dont have a CEL and i passed emissions, so could it still be the same problem?

haha i wish i knew what i was looking for, but im not much of a car guy :-( lol. if it helps, my car also has an ever so slight vibration when im on the highway, between 65-75 mph. its very slight but you can definitely feel it. that almost sounds like maybe it IS an engine mount then?

.. that almost sounds like maybe it IS an engine mount then?
Yes. There are 4. Tranny to driver fender mount (this is under the air filter housing). Tranny to passenger fender mount (this is most easily seen when you look from the passenger side standing next to the passenber side wheel). Front to chassis. Rear to chassis.

Look at the Autozone site. It should have some good info.
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/c7/cf/0900823d801bc7cf/repairInfoPages.htm

this might help you

this might help you

ive been having an idle problem with my contour 2.0, what can i say its a ford. ive spent 1100 replacing parts, because of enging codes, at first there was none, but after replacing parts , there was always a new one, i now found out that the air intake is plastic, and where the idle air control valve sits,( under the egr valve) the idiots countersink a rounded nut which you would tighten the IAC valve into, they should have put this nut on the back of intake, instead of the front, but instead you bolt the IAC valve into the face of this nut, what happened to mine was stumbling at idle when air conditioning is on, and when in drive, with AC on, I took the bolts out of the iac valve and noticed that one of these countersink nuts were hanging just a little bit out, so i tapped it back in, when i put the thing back in, it ran the same only worse. i took it back out and the one one nut came out, its not back together just yet but i am 100% sure that that is my problem, if ford would have put these nuts on the otherside of the hole, people like us wouldnt have to spend so much money fixing the darn problem, they would have a better name, and japan wouldnt be taking over the market.
if you still dont get what i mean because i have a hard time explaining,
crap= IAC+BOLTS+NUTS+INTAKE ( the way ford built contour)
good =IAC+BOLTS+INTAKE+NUTS ( the way ford sholud build contour)
i will post this add so this idle problem that many have will be fixed, IVE CRACKED THIS NUT!!!!
SCAVENGER!!!

Back