• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

up and running

svtkev

CEG'er
finished my 3L swap last night and took it for a spin today , i was being kinda easy on it because of the new clutch , but damn what a difference, here my mods list
04 escape 3L
port matched 3L heads with mild exhaust porting
SVT cams with all new timing componets
MSDS headers and y-pipe
Fidanza flywheel
SPEC stage 1 clutch
Royal purple fluids

would like to say thanks to everyone on CEG for all the info

from start to finish, how long did it take? When you say "SVT cams with all new timing componets" what do you mean by components? chain and gears or more?

Or for my build it would mean:
Camshaft & timing - Timing chain Timing chain x2
Camshaft & timing - Chain guide Chain guide, right
Camshaft & timing - Chain guide Chain guide, left
Camshaft & timing - Crankshaft gear Crankshaft gear
Camshaft & timing - Tensioner arm Tensioner arm x2
+ pulsewheel

id say start to finish i had about 30-35 hours of labor , but i cleaned or painted everything , and i started with a shortblock, so i basically had to assemble the top end of the motor, and by new timing componets i mean guides, chains, tensioners, and tensioner arms, i cant say id want to do it again , but id definitely say it was worth it, and i have a new found respect for the people that have done this job , and i also have a new level of familiarity with my car(not so intimidating to work on anymore) so all in all i am pleased with the outcome, and the way it pulls through the gears , i couldnt imagine a 3L with a turbo!!!

I know what you are talking about. Before I pulled the tranny out of my car, I didn't want to touch it. I've been involved with 3 thransmission swaps now and nothing wories me anymore....

id say start to finish i had about 30-35 hours of labor , but i cleaned or painted everything , and i started with a shortblock, so i basically had to assemble the top end of the motor, and by new timing componets i mean guides, chains, tensioners, and tensioner arms, i cant say id want to do it again , but id definitely say it was worth it, and i have a new found respect for the people that have done this job , and i also have a new level of familiarity with my car(not so intimidating to work on anymore) so all in all i am pleased with the outcome, and the way it pulls through the gears , i couldnt imagine a 3L with a turbo!!!

OK sounds good, I'm starting a swap on my Mystique (non SVT) obviously. Can I stick with my cams or do I need to get SVT cams? Did you change the timing parts as a precaution or is it necessary?

You can stick with your cams if you want but with the SVT cams you will see more top end power. It isn't necessary to change your timing components but it is a good precaution. In my swap everything looked great except for the chains so I chose to just replace the chains.

My new motor is from a '04 taurus/sable so I'm assuming it's in pretty good shape. I forgot to ask the mileage but being only 3-4 yrs old it should be fairly low, plus I also used to work at the yard I'm getting it from.

Back