• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Tire size question

Rick

CEG'er
Will 225 50 ZR16 tires with stock wheels SVT wheels fit a 98 SVT. I thought 215 50 ZR16 was the largest that would work?

I just put 225/50/16s on mine with no probs. There is only a 1/2" difference in the tread width and thats about all. 215/50/16 is the stock size.

I have a 98 SVT E0 with a build date of 4/97. It has about 226,000 miles on it. It has stock wheels. It has stock springs and struts.

Except for the first 30,000 miles, it has always had 225/50ZR16 tires on it. Currently it has Dayton Daytona ZR tires. Seems to be similar to Fuzion ZRi and Bridgestone 750.

That is a big as you can go though. Same diameter as the original 205/55ZR16, but about 3/4" wider.

Will 225 50 ZR16 tires with stock wheels SVT wheels fit a 98 SVT. I thought 215 50 ZR16 was the largest that would work?

Just to give you an idea of what they look like with a 1-1/4 inch drop. I don't recommend going any larger than 225/50/16's.
IMG00026.jpg

Last edited:
I just bought Kumho Ecsta ASX, 225/50/16's and they rub horribly. The back wheels touch the splash guards, and when I turn left or right the front tires rub. Maybe it's just my car???

(Sorry for bringing this back....didn't think I would need to start a new thread!!)

I just bought Kumho Ecsta ASX, 225/50/16's and they rub horribly. The back wheels touch the splash guards, and when I turn left or right the front tires rub. Maybe it's just my car???

(Sorry for bringing this back....didn't think I would need to start a new thread!!)

That's really odd, it's gotta be your car, i had 225/50/16 BFGoodrich G-Force Sports and they NEVER rubbed no mater where i went, how hard i turned.

I just put on Dunlop Direzza 101 225/50/16's and have had no problems whatsoever. Is your car lowered? Either way seems strange.

Nope....it's on stock suspension! Which is the reason I went with the wider tires b/c everyone else on here said they had no problems. It's really odd. The front only rubs when I make a sharp left or right turn. The back is just barely touching but not anything to worry about. I will try to take a pic of them if I can get a hold of a camera.

edit: I just went out and checked. With the tires perfectly straight, the sidewalls on the front tires are about the tip of an index finger away from hitting the strut.

Last edited:
Every contour is different. Biggitybon if it's only plastic the tires touch (don't worry about the strut clearance, a fingertip width is enough clearance) than they'll eventually rub through and it'll be ok. If the metal lip in the rear is cutting the tire though, you'll have to hammer it or cut it.

The rear tires just BARELY touch the strut, so I think that's ok. And they also just barely touch the plastic wheel well. As for the metal lip, are you talking about the part of the wheel well by the door? (I assumed that's what you meant)

No, there is a lip up in the fender that is the usual suspect of cutting tires on our cars... though in my case the whole fender is the culprit.

Back