• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Do I need to run 93

I've always used 91 and above. A couple of times I've had to use 89 because the gas station lacked premium (was driving through a very remote area in the Adirondaks...beautiful). IMO I think I got worse mileage + crappy running. Really noticable when driving up hills, etc. when the engine is really working its ass off.

Anyways, I only use Sunoco because it's really the only thing around here. I've had bad luck in the past with BP, but maybe that's just me.

Regarding fuel brand -- These days, the lowest prices seem to be at a couple of Citgos. Don't like supporting Hugo Chavez, but the gas is fine. When I lived in Montana, Conoco was a good choice, but we don't have those here. I always run 91 or higher.

125,000 plus a few years ago, traded for new Avalon. It was my impression the head gaskets on those 3.8 usually failed at 80,000 or less.

There were a lot of low mileage failures on the 3.8 head gaskets. Cars driven more miles per year accounted for a lower percentage of the failures because they were not subjected to the same temperature stress.

To wit, a car driven 10,000 miles a year, for example, would have been involved in many more short trips, quite a few of those where the engine was not allowed achieve normal operating temperature. This repeated heating and cooling, and the stresses that go along with short trips, played a key part in the head gaskets failing when few people would have expected it. When I was working at a Ford dealer the early part of this decade, we had a '92 Taurus on the lot with 49K miles on it. It was clean as a whistle. But it had head gasket failure. Who knew? All its life, it just went to church, to the market, and home again. Bingo. There's the reason. This is not to say that all the little old ladies of the world are wreaking havoc on head gaskets everywhere, regardless of engine. Rather, the 3.8 Essex head gasket setup was just predisposed to failure.

If it had been owned by a travelling salesman who did 30K a year, chances are much better that the failure could have been averted, or at least signifcantly delayed.

I have always ran premium in my SVT. With gas continuing to go up, I was wondering if I actually need premium. Has anyone ran 89?
What's it say on the gas gauge? There you go. Honestly, this question comes up too much. These are performance cars and they won't perform on regular. Plus, if the computer/knock sensor has to retard the timing for regular, you will actually burn more gas on account of getting worse gas mileage so there goes much of your perceived savings. FWIW, gas prices should go back down since that hostage situation has ended and should be stable until hurricane season starts on June 1st. :rolleyes: By the way, every car in my sig requires premium so you know I'm loving the gas prices here in California. :mad:
Karl

And anybody running a chip or different program (unless programmed to run on lower octane) obviously should run premium. Sorta goes without saying but you never know what someone might do.

Back