• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Ground Control height question

Stylin55_oh

CEG'er
I have recently installed GCs on my SVT and i have the front coilovers almost all the way down and the rears almost all the way up and the back looks lower than the front. I am running stock struts with the spring prerchs removed. So my question is how can i fix this problem, as in are there struts with a different mounting point for the spring perch or what have you. Also I'm just curious if anyone else ran into this problem

Not exactly true. The perch on koni's and a few other struts are lower than the stock strut. I find it wierd that you can't lower the rear enough.

Perch location was going to my bet too. Its not that i cant lower the rear enough, its that the rear is slammed. tucking the top of the tire slammed. With the coilovers adjusted to nearly as high as possible, while the front has about a two finger wheel gap with the coilovers turned down nearly all the way.

yes the shorter springs are in front.

also, i recently saw a picture on here of an svt that was really low, i remember someone commenting on how low it was. I would like to reference that picture to see the front wheel gap but i cant find it again. so if anyone has any clue of what im talking about could you direct me to it please :)

Last edited:
my cougar is on full slam all day. the fronts are about an inch or so up and i pulled the front wheel wells i love it

i have konis as well though.

your cougar looks sweet, im not getting that much drop in the front. I'm going to guess the culprit is the stock strut perch location. Is the only answer to buy konis??

What are the GC perches resting on? The stock perch location is fine. Give me the numbers off your springs and I'll make sure they're the right ones.

I'd get new shocks anyway, though. Having horribly under-damped stiff springs will not be fun.

i love your white csvt as well. it means alot to hear you say that considering your car is one of the backgrounds i use every now and again :)

thanks for the compliment, but i dont think you are referring to my car. It just happened that i painted my svt pearl white and i then found out one day while on campus there was another pearl white svt in the same area (the one you are referring to). His is nicer than mine and i dont mind saying that since his car was amazing.

anyways,

i graduate with a BSME in a month, so once i get a job and my income straightened out i could buy new car parts IE new struts. In the meantime i just wanna level out my car and i would prefer to do so by dropping the front not lifting the rear. Its sitting on the stock spring perch .. well sort of. I cut off the perches and left just a small ring around the strut for the coilover to sit on.

i plan on messing with it soon.. maybe ill get time to show pics later too

I have Konis and GC's and with the adjustable collars at approx. 1 inch from the bottom of the threaded sleeve my car sits level.

tourinfront.jpg

In the pic the collars are bottomed out.

Maybe try and post some pics of the springs installed on the struts so we can see if the install looks correct.

Back