• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Best Spark Plug..

SVT_TEE

CEG'er
I'm wondering as to what would be the best setup for my svtc. I'm always replacing the things that need to be replaced when i buy a new car, so what would be the best plug and wire combos out there. Nothing but the best for my svtc

Motorcraft, Motorcraft, Motorcraft. Rockauto.com has them listed under part number SP459 -- you may be able to get them cheaper through Bill at Team Ford or Steve at Tousley Ford.

Ford part number is AGSF32FM. Per the Motorcraft part number decoder, it is the "Finewire Platinum-Nickel Centerwire Electrode, Nickel Plated Shell." Double platinums are AWSF-32PP, I believe.

Last edited:
Just stay away from "+4" snake oil.. split fire, all those gimmicks are a waste.

Bosch +4, and split fire plugs don't last 40% of the time a standard copper (or better yet: a double platinum[which is spec'd on the car]) will.

Stick to OEM Motorcraft, or the Autolite APP764 (Double Platinum) as long as you aren't Forced Induced. Gap to spec (0.052-0.056) and DO NOT BELIEVE "pre-gapped" for a second.

Just stay away from "+4" snake oil.. split fire, all those gimmicks are a waste.

Bosch +4, and split fire plugs don't last 40% of the time a standard copper (or better yet: a double platinum[which is spec'd on the car]) will.

Stick to OEM Motorcraft, or the Autolite APP764 (Double Platinum) as long as you aren't Forced Induced. Gap to spec (0.052-0.056) and DO NOT BELIEVE "pre-gapped" for a second.

Amen, I wouldn't put a Bosch or Splitfire plug in my car for love or money. In the Taurus SHO, some aftermarket plugs were too long, causing the boots to fit improperly, and sand and water, etc. could make its way into the plug well. I also believe I heard some stories of piston collision. May not be as much of a concern in the SVT, but stick with Ford parts and you'll be all good.

Amen, I wouldn't put a Bosch or Splitfire plug in my car for love or money. In the Taurus SHO, some aftermarket plugs were too long, causing the boots to fit improperly, and sand and water, etc. could make its way into the plug well. I also believe I heard some stories of piston collision. May not be as much of a concern in the SVT, but stick with Ford parts and you'll be all good.

there is absolutely nothing wrong with autolite double plats. they are basically the same thing as motorcraft

...minus the finewire center electrode which the Autolite XP iridiums do have.

I have used Autolites in the past with 0 problems. They are a little cheaper. However, my personal preference would be to stick with Motorcraft products. They seem to be the most popular choice for SVT N/A vehicles. I am currently running neither brand since I am running FI :laugh:

there is absolutely nothing wrong with autolite double plats. they are basically the same thing as motorcraft

There was no mention of NOT using APP764's. The above poster was agreeing with Bosch and splitfire being snake-oil.. NOT with OEM or Autolite's. Myself and the above poster both agree that they are both good choices.

The problem with gapping platinum plugs is in order to do it "without" scraping off the plat coating (ie traditional dial gapper) you would need to invest in a special gapper that runs about $85 last time I looked. Ray, If you know of a more cost effective means of gapping platinum spark plugs without compermising the plat coating please do share ;)

Use a set of feeler gauges (also, more correctly known as a penknife) and check the gap. don't use a ramp style (round disc) to adjust it..

The adjust slowly apply pressure. don't "bang, "tap" or "nugde" repetitively. slow, steady pressure. Adjusting plugs with platinum coatings aren't easy, but have to be done, too, if the gap is off.

DO NOT RUN E3's

DO NOT RUN E3's

Some of you may remember I was testing E3's in my contour, on the CLAIM that it was better gas mileage - well, I did see an slight improvement over the Autolite's I had in for 60K, at first. Then, Monday, I went to start the car, and it shuddered and stalled. Hmmm... Well, long story short, replaced the fuel filter (it was time anyway), checked the fuel pressure and spark, both looked fine. Pulled the plugs (I checked the spark by pulling a few wires and testing with the autolite's I still had) and low and behold, NO platinum left on the surface ring, and they were completely fouled. Cleaned up the autolite's, put them back in, and the car fired up. I'm going to run over and grab a new set of the autolite XP's tomorrow.

Hope this helps someone.

I run Denso Iridiums in my SVT and my bikes (both 2 & 4 stroke), four wheelers, the plugs in my tour corrently have about 20k on them and have been used with motorcraft OEM plug wires, they are a great compliment to the SVT and improve throttle responce all around, although they are a bit pricey at $10-12 a piece they are definatly worth it and will be for many miles to come. The first time I used them was the last time I used any other plug, I will never use any other plug in my vehicles, I even use them in my jeeps' 4.0 strieght six and it loves them, hope this helps your dicision making, also you can pick up a set on ebay much cheaper just cross refrence them with the rock auto catalog to make sure you have the right part number, Later!!

Two items. 1) I put Autolite dbl Plats in my '95 Mystique and they are crap. As it was mentioned about a year ago using anything but Motorcraft is a crap shoot. And that is correct in my case. I also replaced the plug wires after I did the plugs. It didn't help. Yes they are gapped correctly. 2) I am going to buy a new set of plugs, but when I looked at the Motorcraft AGSF32FM there is no writing anywhere on the box to indicate that they are a Platinum plug. But the Autolite, and NGK boxes do indicate Platinum on the box. Is it possible that the Motorcraft plugs I am looking at are just copper core?

Later. Pepse.

I put Autolite dbl Plats in my '95 Mystique and they are crap. As it was mentioned about a year ago using anything but Motorcraft is a crap shoot. And that is correct in my case.

That's very interesting considering Bendix/Allied Signal makes both Autolite and Motorcraft plugs.

Look somewhere else for your problem since the Autolite APP764 is identical to the plug Ford specified as the replacement plug when that car was new. As others posted, Autolite makes Motorcraft plugs for Ford.

Many of us here (myself included) have not had any problems with Autolite plugs.

Up to this point I have always bought Autolites (that is since the mid '80's). The way I have been seeing things now-a-days it is better to go with OEM parts instead. Though you state that Autolites are the same as Motorcraft, I would think that they would be priced the same IF the quality is suppose to be the same. Money-wise I would rather go with the cheaper plug but because of what happened I will put the money in Motorcraft instead.

As for the possibility of something else causing the misfire, it is probable. The plugs that were in it when I changed were Motorcraft platinums, and there was no mis-firing with them. I changed plus back then in hopes that along with new plugwires and changing to synthetic oil I could improve the gas mileage to something better than the 22 to 25mpg it was getting. Nope, no change. So, I have learned to live with it. Anyway to not take up any more space I will stop for now.

Later. Pepse.

Back