• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

A couple of questions about hard shifting...

Boomhower

New CEG'er
Hi folks,

I've been researching past threads about hard shifting problems in my 98 Contour GL 4cyl and have learned that apparently, the TSS and/or ATF change helped the most. I drive 50 miles to work and the shifting is fine at first but once I pull off the interstate after 40 miles, 1st - 2nd shifts are extremely abrupt. Sometimes chirping the tires. The tranny was rebuilt about 2 years ago and has about 25K miles on it so I'm assuming it's not the tranny itself. At least I hope it's not.

My questions are...Is it a good bet that replacing the TSS and ATF will help? Also, where do I look for it (the TSS) once I open the hood?

Thanks,
Tim
98 Contour GL 4 cyl Zetec
214,000 miles

The TSS typically exhibits as a 1-2 "bang shift" only. If you are also experiencing bang shifting into and out of other gears, the TSS is not at issue. Also, if you're experiencing the bang shift only after extended highway or heavy stop/go traffic driving, the TSS is not your issue.

The TSS is visible through the driver's side wheel well opening. If it isn't welded to the case by corrosion, it's only a 10 minute job to replace.

Any CEL or flashing O/D light?

Steve

Last edited:
Thanks for replying Steve,

The bang shift is 90% 1st to 2nd. All other shifts are a bit hard including O/D. 2nd to 3rd being the worst of the bunch. Even downshifting is a bit hard. But 1st to 2nd is by far the worst. It only occurs after highway driving or after the car has run for a while. I wonder if I have a transmission cooling issue.

There is a CEL but I haven't read the code yet. The O/D light isn't flashing.

Tim

Code

Code

I just got a code reader and get P1744 which, according to Ford, means that the Torque Converter Clutch slip exceeds the malfunction threshold. Is that a huge problem or not? I'm not good with trannies at all.

Tim

Yes, it is a big problem. But I would change the TSS and do a 3x ATFluid change first to see if it helps before spending $2000 again for a rebuilt tranny.

3X ATFluid change.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...992476&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1

TSS change
http://newcougar.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1451
and this
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...er=1030582&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1
and this
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...=6months&Main=1251723&Search=true#Post1253208

Last edited:
Thanks for the links Tony. I suspect that when my tranny was rebuilt a couple of years ago, the old sensors were not replaced. The condition, the 1-2 bang shift, does exist in the morning but not nearly as severe or abrupt. As far as the P1744 code is concerned, if there is slippage it hasn't hurt the gas mileage and also, if there is slippage, I suspect it's not the cause of the bang shift. I'm gonna give it a whirl this weekend and let you guys know what happens.

As an aside, when I first found this site I laughed because I thought, "How could anyone be into these models so much? They're only Contours!" Now, however, as time has gone by I've gotten a lot of help and advice from this forum while I try to keep mine on the road and I'm not laughing any more. Now I'm just smiling. It's a good car.

Keep up the good work!

Save your money. You don't need either a TSS or a fluid flush.

You need a new torque converter and a new valve body.

Just been there, done all that crap.

Parts will run you around $400. Replacing the TC is a major PITA for one person on jack stands. Just got mine put back together early last week. It's back on the road as my wife's daily driver and is running perfectly.

Steve

You can replace the torque converter while the tranny's in the car? I bet it is a PITA because I thought of that while looking at it yesterday and said, "So close but yet, so far..." How long did it take you? I assume it's not all that bad mechanically to replace, it's getting it out and back in that's the problem. Right?

Since the TSS is fairly inexpensive, I may do that first anyway. It wouldn't be money lost since it's an updated part.

Tim
98 Contour GL Zetec w/bang shift ATX

You can replace the torque converter while the tranny's in the car? I

Nope. Tranny has to come all the way out.

How long did it take you?

A couple of days. Probably about 15 hours total of actual work. I could probably do it again in about half the time since I now have my engine support made and now know exactly what needs to be removed and where all the bolts are at. Took extra time because AutoZone screwed up my TC order.

The valve body alone can be replaced in a couple of hours with the tranny in the car. If the tranny is out, it's very quick.

Since the TSS is fairly inexpensive, I may do that first anyway. It wouldn't be money lost since it's an updated part.

Since it ain't broke, it won't fix anything. FWIW, I'm still with Wife Version 1.0 after 27 years. While there are "update models" available, it just doesn't make any sense to change simply because an "update" may be available.

See this thread over on Terry's site: http://www.fordcontour.org/index.php?showtopic=6932 See how well the symptoms match up.

Steve

Thanks for the info Steve.

Ya know, it'd really suck if I had to fix the tranny again. Especially since I just had it done a couple of years ago. I bet it doesn't have 30K miles on it. I now wonder what made the TC go out so quickly. Did the suckers even rebuild it or did they screw me and pocket the bucks? They're out of business now so that should tell you something.

The symptoms described in the thread on Terry's site are right on except I haven't tried shutting the car off and back on yet. At the moment, the CEL isn't on but it comes and goes.

Unfortunately my only other ride to work is a thirsty pickup, but at least I have that.

In my case, Wife Version 1.0 broke down and was not rebuildable. I'm on 2.0 and it's running like a top.

Tim

Hope not to change the topic much, but I noticed that you said the rebuild was approx. 25k miles old. That means your original lasted almost 190k miles??? Wow, that's gotta be a record for the CD4E. Best of luck w/the issue.

Yeah, 180-190K miles or so...not a bad record for a CD4E from what I understand so I guess I should count my blessings. But, the fact that it's apparently going out again so soon after a rebuild kinda ticks me off. It should last much longer. The engine shows no sign of failure, uses very little oil and gets good mileage. It does have some hesitation when cold that I'm trying to troubleshoot but other than that, I've got no beefs with it.

And Steve, thanks again for the reply. I remember when the mechanic(?) talked to me about the tranny rebuild, he said he put all of the updates in it whatever that meant. I wonder if he said he did but really didn't.

Tim

It needs to be made clear that most issues stem from the valve body. Purchase a valve body that has been rebuilt using Sonnax valves and most of the complaints from the CD4E would be gone.... bang shifts in all gears, torque converter clutch slip, broken drums, etc.
Get a Transmission cooler. Just do it.

My daughter's 96 wouldn't shift out of 1st this morning, after about three minutes of driving, then she got the blinking OD light warning. She limped the car into a parking lot and turned it off. I came to the rescue and it ran fine for me for 15 miles on the e-way. While this doesn't seem to be the slam shifting scenerio; does it sound like the same TC problem? I just had the fuel system cleaned last week because of a stalling problem; and a CEL showed shortly after the cleaning. I thought the CEL was from the cleaning, but I'll have it read today to see if it is the TC code. Any thoughts?

My daughter's 96 wouldn't shift out of 1st this morning, after about three minutes of driving, then she got the blinking OD light warning. She limped the car into a parking lot and turned it off. I came to the rescue and it ran fine for me for 15 miles on the e-way. While this doesn't seem to be the slam shifting scenerio; does it sound like the same TC problem? I just had the fuel system cleaned last week because of a stalling problem; and a CEL showed shortly after the cleaning. I thought the CEL was from the cleaning, but I'll have it read today to see if it is the TC code. Any thoughts?
What was the speedometer doing? This sounds like a vehicle speed sensor issue.
Read this thread.
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=1816&highlight=vehicle+speed+sensor

When I drove the car to work--there was no problem with the speedometer. My daughter didn't notice it bouncing when the car was acting up for her.

Took it to AutoZone and they pulled a code 1506; which they indicated needs an Idle Air Control Valve. This sounds more like its linked to her previous stalling problem and not the tranny issue.

Any Suggestion?

Last edited:

Sounds more like a valve body/solenoid issue than anything else (including the VSS).

Ifit happens again, put the shift lever in 2nd gear and force a manual 2nd gear as a "limp home" mode.

Steve

Back