• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

To you F/I guys...

Reebs

meester super sleuth
I figured I would post this question in F/I, because you guys are the ones who I need the advice from. I just about to drop in my 3L turbo, and I plan to have between 310hp and 350hp depending on what I set my boost controller to.

I have a stage 2 made of kevlar (not stage 2+) and spec's website says that it is good for 340 ft.lbs/torque. I will be right around maxing that thing out, but I am not sure if they under rate the clutches or whatnot. My spec stage 2 also has around 20,000 miles of moderate n/a driving on it. I know it has life left, but I am afraid to put this beast together and find out that the clutch is slipping under boost. :(

What clutches are you guys running, and what power do you think/know that your clutch can hold? I know it is just another expense, but I think it would be worth it for me to pick up another clutch. I also don't know what to do about resurfacing, because I have a fidanza LW flywheel.

Well, go ahead and give me some advice! :) My SVT will be driven a ton, so I need a clutch that will have a decent life expectancy.

Thanks,

Jeff

get a hold of SVTcuervo and just get a new disc (stage 3) and put it in there...It's like 160 or so. totally worth not pulling it apart again.

SPEC Stage 3 here. Its very on/off type of clutch so taking off from a stop is something you have to get used to. Mine has seen as much as 410 foot pounds of tq. It sees about 350 wtq daily.

Im hoping that my stage 3 does not suck as hard as Ive heard. I like being able to manipulate the clutch.

I will also toss this question in here. Im in the same boat as Reebs, I had planned on picking up a beater car for next winter, but that is probably not in the cards.

How much of a pain in the ass am I in for using this as a DD year round? Anythoughts on limiting boost in the colder months, or any other precautions I should take during the winter?

Eh, I may be safe. I should graduate in dec. so the bulk of my last semester should be snow free, and for the bad days I can steal the girlfriends car :laugh:

get a hold of SVTcuervo and just get a new disc (stage 3) and put it in there...It's like 160 or so. totally worth not pulling it apart again.

I don't think that you can mix the stage 2 pressure plate with the stage 3 disc, can you?!?!?

I don't think that you can mix the stage 2 pressure plate with the stage 3 disc, can you?!?!?

Answer is yes, it wont be an issue! But make sure everything is perfectly flat to avoid engagement issues.

Personally, if you have the money I would go with a stage 3+. Its a full faced carbon/semimetallic clutch that uses a stage 5 pressure plate. She's good for 540hp. Compared to the stage 3, it is significantly better on drivability and has much less of an on/off feeling.

I ordered the 3+ for those reasons!

Last edited:
I just tried to call spec, but they are closed for the day. I believe that SVTCuervo said you can't mix match all the clutches and pressure plates like you are making it sound, however, I will be talking with the spec tech in the morning to find out for sure. Stage 3+ clutch sounds like it would be perfect for me, but it sure is pricey! :) It costs more than stage 4 and 5 too!

I know that clutches are rated by torque at the crank, so Tom, knowing my setup what do you think I'll be putting out at the crank!?! I'll have your stage 2 turbo kit with the garrett turbo on a stock 3L with SVT cams... oh, and at 7.5 - 10psi! :)

you can mix them...I called spec and the pressure plate between the spec 2 and spec 3 (not sure about the + ) are the exact same. I did it and on a junk turbo made 333 at only about 10-11 psi.

you can mix them...I called spec and the pressure plate between the spec 2 and spec 3 (not sure about the + ) are the exact same. I did it and on a junk turbo made 333 at only about 10-11 psi.

Hmmm.... well I at least know that the 3+ pressure plate is different. It is supposedly off the same pressure plate as the stage 5! :) I will probally just bite the bullet and by a brand new stage 3+ clutch kit.

So you have a stage 2 pressure plate with a stage 3 disc?

No, he has the stage 3 disc with the appropriate plate. :laugh:

It is the same PP for both. Last I head the PP was the same from stage1-3

I personally think that a stage 3, properly installed is more than enough for any of the boosted cars we've seen so far.
That isn't saying that some day it won't....

Tom is right....anything else new?

PP is the same for 1-3 and then yes the + got different ones. I don't min the stage 3 at all. Really why go overkill (like i am one to talk :) )

I talked to SPEC well before I posted. You CAN mix a stage 2 pressure plate with a stage 3 disc. FYI I spoke with Paul. Again the stage 3+ uses a stage 5 pressure plate...

Last edited:
could you please explain that? do u mean bein if it doesnt have glazing or things of the sort? cuz i am definetely either doin this or puttin in a spec stage 3

Back