• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

i just installed my new clutch and...

8000RPM

CEG'er
..well i start the car, and the temp gauge needle goes all the way up to red withing 2 sec. i figured the engine is not overheating. i guess it is the gauge sending unit sensor, located the throttle body, right? or not? this sensor, has a little needle like pin sticking out. mine rotates a lot and is loose. is it supposed to be that way or is mine just really damaged?
any info is welcome beacue i am leaving for a road trip tomorrow and i need to take care of it before i leave. thanks.

Check the wiring and connectors for both the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor and Coolant Temperature Gauge sender. You may have to crimp the connector a little tighter to "make it connect".

Edit. Picture compliments of Chongo. enginecoolanttemperature coolanttemperaturegauge

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1289851&Forum=trouble&Words=engine%20coolant%20temperature&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=1289354&Search=true#Post1289851

Last edited:
Caution, your engine might have overheated!!

Caution, your engine might have overheated!!

You might have bumped the sending unit while doing clutch. Replace the shorted temp gauge sending unit, and waterpump (very likely, unless you replaced it already, you have a 98). Do yourself a favor and unplug it in the meantime to avoid having the gauge get stuck at hot. My sending unit did the same thing, when my engine had overheated. Watch for overheating when gauge is operational, the gauge shouldn't go much past M on the scale.

Last edited:
i took the car for a road trip with the new clutch, speed sensor and temp sending unit. all worked well. the temo needle was for the most part between the R and the M. sometimes in traffic I noticed that it went to the middle of the M, which worried me a little. And no, I have not changed the Water Pump, but I believe that my entire engine had been replaced by ford in 2000, because I have a metal plate on the back that says something like "certified replacement, the date and a serial number". so i hope that the pump is good...but who knows. maybe i should change it..hmm

Back