• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Ford SVTC Recall

JoeM

Veteran CEG'er
Well, the other night, while flushing/bleeding the brakes, i discovered 2 broken springs.... :cry::censored:
I was GOING to replace them with used ones from my parts car, when i was told to check the ford recalls..
Guess what... Ford is replacing all 4 tomorrow morning for free!!

I'm just a bit happy. :laugh:

Needs more posting in General. We have more important non Contour things to discuss here. Ha!

Well, the other night, while flushing/bleeding the brakes, i discovered 2 broken springs.... :cry::censored:
I was GOING to replace them with used ones from my parts car, when i was told to check the ford recalls..
Guess what... Ford is replacing all 4 tomorrow morning for free!!

I'm just a bit happy. :laugh:

Awesome! What dealer are you getting it done at? Tousley?

Roseville midway ford ( i work a mile or 2 from there, so convienent)

As for the Warranty age

10 years from MFG or 150k Miles...

Im sitting at 146,3xx

Oh SNAP!! I better hurry up after I get my SVT in a week and a half. 125K miles but it is a 98 with one broken spring....so it better still be covered or Ford will pay, oh yes, they will pay dearly.

From the looks its only front springs. So i may have to change my rear my self. (oh well. 2 fronts for free is still sweet):cool:

How could you not tell the front springs were broken? When it happened to my dad's Windstar (twice) the front end dropped so low that the tires rubbed ... does it not do this on the Contour?

I have a broken front spring as well but have been avoiding doing anything for 1) because of the money and 2) for fear that my ride height will jump up like a virgin the first time she saw you know what. I like to think that my suspension has just been settling these past 9 years.

When I changed my springs/struts from stock to ST200 and 99 SVT springs one of the rears had rusted thru and the coil was broken. Odd that the recall only covers the fronts.

When I changed my springs/struts from stock to ST200 and 99 SVT springs one of the rears had rusted thru and the coil was broken. Odd that the recall only covers the fronts.

I am guessing because of all the weight up front and that is what you stear with. They don't care if it happens in the back because you will still have control of your car if it blows your tire out.

Ford is Denying the Recall, because the car is an SVT.

How the heck can they do that? was it not a 98 contour/merc mystic built at the kansas plant? It doesn't say anything about it having to be a certain type of contour or mystic. So, what type of models does it cover? The SE LX or GL? I would seriously argue with them because it doesn't mention certain models are excluded, and have them show you that the SVT isn't covered.

so basicaly its means that if i break my front spring in the next year and half, i can have it fix for free ??

Nope, it means ford will not cover the recall.
The car WAS built in Kansas Plant
the car IS in minnesota
The car IS less than 10 years old
the car DOES have less than 150k Miles

Unfourtunatly for me, the car IS an SVT.
Ford wants 610 to replace the 1(YES 1) Spring and do an Alignment.
I said no, i will do it my self.

Back