• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Your input...performance pads...

Pole120

Addicted CEG'er
After reading the brake FAQ i found...

"-Type A calipers are on all Contiques, Cougars, and late model SVT Contours. The pads for these calipers are thin and long compared to Type B. This caliper has two mounting brakets, one for 260mm rotors and one for 278mm rotors."

If i put in a 99 SVT in Tirerack only the rears show as available for Hawk performance pads.

Now if I input a 99 contour SE in Tirerack i can get the Hawk performance pads front the front and rear, and since the calipers are supposedly identical these will work correct?

Last edited:
The Type A calipers are the same on all Contours except for the EO which is the early SVT model. All contours with rear discs have the same caliper in the rear and use the same brake pads

I don't like ordering mail order pads. I like to see them and bring the ones I have to compare b4 I leave the store.

I really liked the Mintex C-Tech (M1144) pads. You can get them for both front and rear. Got them from SPMotorsports and had no issues with them being the incorrect size.

You might jump on rockauto.com. They've got a set of ceramics from our friends at GM (AC Delco) for short dough. Should be just about dust free, too. Bonus. Give rock a call if you have any fitment questions -- they're helpful folks.

You might jump on rockauto.com. They've got a set of ceramics from our friends at GM (AC Delco) for short dough. Should be just about dust free, too. Bonus. Give rock a call if you have any fitment questions -- they're helpful folks.

do you like work for them or something? all i see is you talking about rockauto:crazy:

do you like work for them or something? all i see is you talking about rockauto:crazy:

Nope -- but there are occasions where they have the right part quickly for short money. These Delco ceramic pads are one such example. Rock doesn't always have the lowest price on Motorcraft parts -- I suspect Tousley Ford would beat them handily -- but I like them a lot for their depth of variety, and they ship very fast.

If they don't carry a Motorcraft, or if its obsolete, they'll often carry a Moog, Delco, Wix, or other aftermarket supplier for whatever the part is. That can save your bacon if you're stuck, or if you're working on some black sheep (Taurus SHO) that few suppliers want to carry parts for.

Having built a SHO with a buddy of mine from a bucket of bolts to a beautiful car over the course of some 18 months, I found Rock to be very handy -- they delivered when others wouldn't or couldn't.

Now you probably wish you hadn't asked :cool:

But that's the story.

Went to Autozone today to see if the SE w/ABS pads were the same as the SVT and they came back with two different part numbers so i've got to get the pads out of my old SE calipers and then pull them from my SVT to visually verify weather they are or aren't the same.

Anyone have any input on possible other upgraded front pads specifically listed for the SVT?

~Josh

The Ford catalog (and thus all aftermarket catalogs since they copy the factory catlog) shows the changover from the larger early SVT calipers and pads to be 5/99 IIRC. Whatever it says doesn't really matter because it is WRONG. The actual changover date was much earlier. From a pole ran here at CEG a few years back it may have been as early as 2/98 which matches the change from the E0 to the E1.

The best way to make sure which pad you need is to look at the illustration posted at www.batinc.net Look especially at the ears.

Most aftermarket pads seem to use the same numbering system. The early SVT includes 762 as part of the basic number and the non/late SVT includes 642 as part of the basic part number.

Carbotechs

Carbotechs

Carbotech all the way. I am very happy with those pads.

I have been running the AX6 pads front and rear on the steet and the track. When on the street, they are amazing. Only downfall is that they can get noisy, and they likely chew up your rotors faster.

On the track - equally as good. The have very little fade, and you will have utmost confidence in hard braking.

Carbotech can make pads for anything out there, granted they are not cheap. They are night and day performance compared to stock ones.

All depends on how well you want to stop. I had stock ones on my FSVT from setup, and the brakes were OK, but nothing special. Once I put the Carbotechs on, it felt like I had a new system on the car.

Back