• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Should i get a new alt?

Are you running any other amps or just the one? If just the one, I don't think you'll need it. The contour has a pretty good stock alternator. You might want to invest in an optima battery instead. Btw, it looks like your about to shell out a good chunk of change for those products. Are you open to other suggestions? There's alot of great audio knowledge on this forum and I'm sure we can come up with equal or better alternatives for less coin.

130A is stock, pretty good for most systems - that and its not exactly easy to get at. I'd go for a second battery first if you really want to help voltage stay a more constant level

I think i may need a new alt anyways. My lights dim when im in low rpm's (1k or below) and when i turn on my heat or A/C.

I would like to use the MTX products (mainly because it's the only brand I've personaly used before and i know they are quality) but I am open to suggestions. I was planning to get it all on ebay to help reduce costs.

What performance alts will fit my contour? If I do end up needing an alt i might as well get a high performance.

About the battery. Which optima is better red or yellow top, or what are the differences?

I also want to have a second battery in the trunk for the system alone. (also charged by the alt, i saw this somewhere on here before but i forget where.)

Last edited:
The second battery would help wit the light problem, the added amperage in the battery will keep voltage steady and secure it from dropping below 12.8 (the voltage a "charged" battery should maintain) Above that power comes from the ALT,

The Yellow is better, bigger Reserve IIRC. You do NOT want an isolator for the rear battery, wire it in parallel from the frot battery. Isolators are not useful in car audio. The cons out weight the pros.

There are several sources for HO alternators, we offer them a quick search on any Car audio board will list 2-3 other names, some more liked then others

http://www.knukonceptz.com/domaltindex.cfm

Back