• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Clutch pedal issue

CSVT#49

Addicted CEG'er
This is a cross post, but it doesn't appear to be getting much attention in the transaxle forum so...

OK so I had my car up on a dyno today just to get a baseline. I was there with another Contour SVT owner. I wanted to compare my FRPP short throw shifter to his B&M short shifter to see if the throw was any different. When doing so I noticed his clutch was a LOT stiffer then mine. I told him to check out my car so we took it for a spin. He was like "your clutch is really mushy". I had never driven someone elses Contour SVT so I didn't really notice.

Later that day we went back to my house and bleed the clutch, but when doing so we saw that there was plenty of pressure. I checked the clutch return spring and that also seemed fine.

Any ideas as to why my clutch pedal would be so mushy compared to his (I have a SPEC stage 1 he had a stage 3)? The clutch engagement seems fine. Although as side note when I first got this car I had to do an engine swap. A few weeks after the car was running I wasn't able to start the car anymore. It turned out the clutch pedal was no longer depressing the clutch switch. I tried adjusting the clutch pedals set screw but I ended up having to take it out to get the pedal to go far enough down to depress the switch. Could this have damaged the clutch master cylinder? I would think the master cylinder is fine since I've got fluid pressure at the slave cylinder?

Sorry for the long post I just wanted to give you all of the details.

Yea this is true so I guess I driven two CSVT's. However I don't remember now whether yours was stiffer then mine or not.

Back