• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SVT Front Isolator Resistor

jeffmx5

New CEG'er
I have a 1998 SVT #3348. I changed my LCAs today (4-bolt) and in the process I was going to replace the front roll resistor/isolator. I had ordered Anchor 2888 based upon a post here and pictures here and here. Once I removed the front resistor compared the two, mine is the old style (see attachments). Also, the nuts are welded to the subframe just like this picture.

There was a minor accident on the Carfax, but I can't remember if it was front or rear.

My rear roll resistor is a new SVT version, just replaced a few months ago.

1. Has anyone else seen an SVT set up like this?
2. What is the difference between the two?
3. Will the SVT roll isolator bolt in?
4. Can I reuse the bracket that mounts to the transmission or are all three parts different for the SVT? (frame bracket, transmission bracket, insert)

I've attached a couple of photos.

Attachments

• front_roll.jpg
    front_roll.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 0
  • anchor_2888.jpg
    anchor_2888.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 0
  • both.jpg
    both.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 0
You have the nuts for the front lower welded to the bottom of the subframe bracket? That's an early type and I've never seen such a critter. Your SVT must have been 1 of the first off the line when they were still using the pre 98 subframes. I asume you also have 4 bolt A arms. Do you also have the stab-o-shoc?

I have converted my 96 to SVT spec mounts. First a little background...

Ford changed 3 of the 4 mounts for 98. Both uppers (RH & LH) and the frt lower. SVT's came with exclusive lowers. The frt was different (thinner) as it had the bracket for the SOS under the mount. The rr is better than any others and can be retrofitted to any MTX car.

To change to the later frt lower you have 2 choices - I've done both methods but 1 is easier than the other. The difficult method is to use a chisel and/or rotary cutting wheel and cut/grind the welds which hold the nuts to the bracket. There isn't much room for this and it's very difficult to do properly. The BEST solution is get a newer mount, pound or press the threaded studs out and machine the holes so they are slots. Then use the old bolts and the welded nuts to attach the mount. Make sure you get the SVT specific mount unless you're not re-using the SOS bracket. You may also want to add the ES mount insert.

Last edited:
Yes, the front restrictor nuts are welded to the bracket on the subframe and I do have the stab-o-shock and 4-bold LCAs. I ordered a new SVT front restrictor (aluminum) last week from Bill J. and installed it this past weekend.

My SVT is #3348, so I think it is kind of far down the line to still be using previous year parts. The subframe has some blue handwriting on it, so I'm wondering if it was replaced at some point (with a pre-98!). The CARFAX says:

Police Report Accident Reported in Fulton County Involving a rear impact with another motor vehicle.
I originally read this as it was rear-ended, I now believe it means that my car rear-ended another car, thus front damage and perhaps a new subframe.

New LCAs, front and rear restrictors (proper SVT ones!) and it handles 100% better! The front bushing in the old LCAs were completely gone along with the front restrictor insert.

Pretty simple if you can answer this ?

Is the factory installed "stab-o-shoc" there? It's a mini shock absorber connecting the transaxle to the front subframe adjacent to the frt lower mount. There's a special bracket mounted below the mount and 1 on the transaxle.

Sounds like you may be correct in that the subframe was replaced at some point with a 95-97 type.

Back