• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How far did (would) you travel?

Brent372

Official SE Event Coordinator
How far did (or would) you travel to get your CSVT?
Share your stories here.

I live in South Florida and found mine for sale in Michigan. It was 2 hours away from where my brother lives, so he went to check it out. After it got his stamp of approval (he is a ASA certified Ford Master Mechanic) I made the arrangements. I hopped a flight to Detroit on a Friday afternoon. He picked me up at the airport, and we drove 2 hours to the car. Drove 2 hours back to his place where I crashed for the night at his place. Headed out Satruday morning after an oil change and tire rotation / balance. 1300+ miles and 2-1/2 days later I was home.

Went from south Florida to a L-M dealer in Connecticut for a used Mystique, so I recon I'd go to hell & back for a deal on an SVT - if I needed wheels & found a great deal.

Also bought both used Contours on Ebay from a Nissan dealer in Georgia. A sweet deal is a sweet deal.

What can I say. I like driving.

Last edited:
Went to I think it was Lousiana,, whatever is right on the other side of Biloxi. Ray came from Texas with the car. Tom was there too from Alabama. It was about a 5 hour drive I think.

I didn't move a muscle. A private dealership on the Ohio/Pennsylvania border delivered my SVT to me in a covered trailer. It was a beautiful thing.

About 800 miles round trip....Where I live to Ft Wayne

Where in Fort Wayne did you get your car? Just curious as that is my hometown. And that is where I lived when I bought my SVT. There were none, hence the above story.:cool:

Where in Fort Wayne did you get your car? Just curious as that is my hometown. And that is where I lived when I bought my SVT. There were none, hence the above story.:cool:

Bill bought his SVT from Ryan(Rtstabler51). Ryan hauled the car up here, where Bill drove it back up to Michigan. Had you still lived here, you could have met us and made it 4 Contours in the Halls parking lot, for lunch! :cool:

Mark

I was a senior in HS, and looking for a new car, I found what I wanted; a brand new 2000 C-SVT. I wanted a silver one, and there were only 3-4 new CSVT's left in Michigan, none of them being silver. My brother said he would find me one, and he found my Devil Child in Ohio. :)

We called told them we wanted it and the next thing I knew they delivered it to Kalamazoo Michigan :)

Roundtrip was 2800 miles. Flew out from Oklahoma to Maryland and drove it home. Commissioned DanG to do the mechanical lookover and did the deal completely by phone/fax/mail. Was tedious, time consuming, and at times stressful but it all worked out in the end. Very happy with my CSVT and for the right car, would do it all over again.

i live in Glen Ellyn and drove down to plainfield after seeing th svt on ebay. it was about 30 miles. i fell in love with the car and i really liked the owner. left and that night called him and said ill take it. about a week later i went and picked it up. but the funny thing is as soon as i got back from test driving the car my old car died at my house. wont start. the pcm fryed and then put 1800 into it and sold it for 2300. hehe, but washed and waxed it before i put the forsale sign on it. five mins later some guys calling me to drive the car. he didnt buy it but the next day it sold. sold in less than 24 hours. lol it lives about a block away from me now.

Last edited:
I traveld 4 miles combined to get my csvt. How far would I drive, well that all depends on the pirce and condition. If i can get one for 1k and and in awsome condition I'll drive (Fly) to Main.

SVTJON: The exact same thing happend to my and my Mystique, as soon an I purchased the Contour the mystique lost the will to live. Fryed comp too. Must be too much for there fragile minds.

Last edited:
I live in Upstate NY (near Syracuse) and won my '98 SE Sport on eBay.

I flew down to Orlando Florida to pick it and drove it 1500 miles back home.

On the way home, I stopped in Daytona and picked up a 1st Gen trunk lid and some taillights that I had also won on eBay.

One of the tires was in bad shape and wouldn't hold air. It finally went flat in Georgia and I had to get it replaced. Other than that, it was in pretty good shape and I am still pretty happy.

Mine was on the Ford Direct website at a dealer in Greensboro, NC. Car was perfect. Flew down from Boston, changed planes in Charlotte, picked her up, and drove her back. I-85 through NC and VA was beautiful -- the setting sun flashed warm orange hues through the many roadside trees. A bunch of us were running in a loose gaggle at about 90 mph, betting on the "safety in numbers" approach. Stopped for dinner at the Occidental Grill in Washington, DC, then hightailed it straight back to Mass.

i got lucky, i found mine like an hour away form where i lived. if it hadn't been that close i probably would have gotten a different car.

total trip time was 24 hours. Had to make more than one trip to 1 to see if it was in good shape for myself, 2 to get the car picked up and 3 because paper work got messed up.

I live in Ottawa, ON Canada. I took a bus to Chicago and drove my SVT home from Joliet, IL.

The scariest part of the trip was stopping in Gary, Indiana which I think has the 5th highest murder rate in the US, ahead of Compton. I felt like I was actually in San Andreas (of gta). It was late at night, and in drives desiato from Canada in his shiny black unplated car. The convenience store I stopped in featured 1 inch plexiglass and people were looking at me like I was a victim. I had no idea what Gary was like beforehand, it sounds pretty innocent...

Customs on both sides of the border were a little confused about why I would make such a trip for a Contour, but the agents who saw the car fell in love with it.

The car won me over on the trip home because it was so comfortable. I would have been okay with another 800 miles.

I got jerked around here in Cincinnati when I went to buy my baby. The dealership idiots employed all the standard tricks to the point of me saying "no mas".

I saw an ad in the back of Autoweek for a dealer who sold SVT contours up near Chicago. So I rented a car and drove up, after making the deal over the phone (and getting it in writing). The salesman picked me up at the rental car place and drove me a few miles to the dealership where I had absolutely no hassle. He even gave me a choice of a black one or a red one as that is all that he had left (I bought mine late in 2000). I chose the black one and drove it home.

I still have the magazine with the ad by the way.

i drove 13 miles...never left the county i live in. kept her for a weekend. made sure she was fit and bought her on a monday............:laugh:

I drove from Saint Louis to Illinois. About a 2hr round trip. BUT the next one that was for sale remotely close to me....THAT I WANTED.....was about 800miles from me.

Back