• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Did Vortec fix the shaft problems at end of production?

bullion

CEG'er
I am looking into buying a used Vortec S/C but I want to make sure of something first. The guy said it was installed in 2004 which means it was a late production kit. Did Vortec fix the problems with the shaft during those later periods of production right before they stopped making the kit?

The kit was bought and installed in 2004. I believe reading in the old forums that Vortec had corrected the problem by the end of production in 2002, but I'll see if I can find in again.

Last edited:
I rebuild superchargers professionally. With a Vortech you can expect to need to do a rebuild typically somewhere in the 20,000-35,000 mile range. That number is however no guarantee. If you use good oil and change your regular oil often and keep it clear they may last longer. A typical Vortech rebuild without any hard parts (meaning just bearings and seals) is around $400. If you have spun a bearing have damaged shaft etc then the cost will be significantly more. Typical signs of failure are seal leaks (oil on the outside of the unit), and bearing noises(growling/grinding).
2 Radial bearings 6205/C3(should be rated 16,000 rpm or higher)
2 Radial bearings 6003/C3 (should be rated 16,000 rpm or higher)
1 Sleeve C/R-99062
1 Seal SC/R-6248
1 Seal TCM Dichtomatix-25x40x7tc

Last edited:
I'm pulling a stripped spline drive Vortech off of a car soon. If anyone is looking to pick up the original Vortech for a decent price he would be willing to sell it for around $1500. You could pick up a new shaft from Knu-Koncept and still get a working kit for a hell of a deal. PM me if you are interested.

bullion;127892... before they stopped making the kit?[/QUOTE said:
The person at Vortech that I talked to still said they build and sell them :confused: Did you ever call Vortech and ask them about it? I don't know what your paying for this used kit, but if you really want one I would just buy it new and not worry about all the shaft problems or possibly having to rebuild the unit. Just my .02

The person at Vortech that I talked to still said they build and sell them :confused: Did you ever call Vortech and ask them about it? I don't know what your paying for this used kit, but if you really want one I would just buy it new and not worry about all the shaft problems or possibly having to rebuild the unit. Just my .02
How long ago did you talk to them? I only ask because multiple Cougar owners have called and have been told it has been discontinued for a couple months now.

Back