• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Turbo Contour Help Needed.....

Muskaman

Be Gentle I'm New Here
Hey, I've got a 96' Contour GL (Automatic) and I've been pondering on weather or not (and how to go about) putting a turbo in it. Last time I came here a couple people told me to not waste my time modding an automatic GL, but it's all I have and there's no way I can get a different one anytime soon. Here's where you guys come in..... I've been looking at the following turbos....

http://www.sportcompactonly.com/product.aspx?p=102190&c=100079&l=2&mk=Ford

...and need some help deciding which one to get, and if I will need any other components besides the turbo itself to install it. I think any of these would be a good choice because they are inexpensive compared to others, and can be upgraded when and if I feel the need (but then again, my judgement could be off). Also, is there any kind of risk installing this on an automatic? Considering the fact that it electronically decides when to shift, would a turbo mess up the timing and make it shift too early or late? Another thing I failed to mention is that my car has a small amount of transmittion trouble (this only really results in some moderately hard shifting after startup, and some mildly-harder-than-normal shifting after a while. to put it in perspective, if I floor it shortly after I have just started it, it will squeak the tires just a little going into 2nd gear). I've already had to replace tranny and engine mounts (the engine was slamming up against the frame). Another thing to note is that I cannot afford to replace the tranny anytime soon (it's like $1200+ or so) and it has served me well even with the problem (and I've been delivering pizza for Papa Johns for nearly 9 months). What do you guys think? Should it be done? Will it hurt my car more than it helps it?

first off this should be in forced induction (but im not a moderator so i cant move it)

second if you cant afford the 1200$ to replace the tranny then you will not be able to afford to put a turbo on your car. theres a lot more work than just throwing a turbo on. your looking at about 3-6K$ for the turbo kit and tuning.

plus turboing an atx is kind of pointless. if you really want to go FI then talk to hector about his S/C that he had.

Start reading and doing some research on turbos. There is a lot of information on this website about what is needed to be done. There are no turbo kits out for the Contour right now so everything that you do will have to be custom fabricated. If your transmission is experiencing trouble then don't even think about putting a turbo on your car until that is fixed, and even better, upgraded to a manual with all the goodies. As far as the turbo is concerned, you need much more than just the turbo itself to turbo your car. You will need to have exhaust headers, a down pipe, wastegate, entire cold side etc. This list goes on. My advice to you is to start researching now if you really want to turbo your car and save up some money and fix your tranny first then maybe start thinking about the turbo. As striker said, you can easily blow 3-6k on a turbo and tuning.

Save your money and start with a different base car. If you are really inclined to go with a contour go with a se 5 spd or svt. Then you will need to save some more to get a turbo kit for about 6 grand. Then get a built transmission for about 3-4 thousand depending on what you want done. Also you will want to build a bulletproof motor with forged pistons and good heads so you can turn up the boost. Can't leave the stock exhaust on either. You will spend thousands more just in miscellaneous stuff for the car.
If you really want power to money ratio get a fox body mustang or something for a couple thousand.

I forged motor is not necessary for boost. Many people on this board have proven that. It is needed for BIG power though. The auto trans will most likely start slipping as soon as u throw that kind of increase to it. Secondly, some those turbo's might be a bit too large for the application. As they said, u need to do quite a bit of research before just "slapping" a turbo on a car. there is a lot to go with it. Like fuel and tuning....lots of tuning.

Robert

seeing as how your already having transmission problems, i dont think i would turbo your car. I dont think it will be able to handle the increase in tq loads.

If you can't afford $1200 for a transmission, don't even consider doing a turbo. The cost of the turbo itself is only a small part of what it takes to actually turbocharge an engine.

I know I haven't got a huge number of posts and probably shouldn't be calling people out, but I can't resist: I smell a troll.
1. Can't afford to get a different car
2. Automatic
3. Tranny problems
4. Can't afford to repair said tranny
5. Has been told before not to bother by CEG

All these lead me to believe there's something fishy about this post.
If not apologies Muskaman, but I think the points above are all good enough reasons for you to give the turbo a miss.

Save your money and start with a different base car. If you are really inclined to go with a contour go with a se 5 spd or svt. Then you will need to save some more to get a turbo kit for about 6 grand. Then get a built transmission for about 3-4 thousand depending on what you want done. Also you will want to build a bulletproof motor with forged pistons and good heads so you can turn up the boost. Can't leave the stock exhaust on either. You will spend thousands more just in miscellaneous stuff for the car.
If you really want power to money ratio get a fox body mustang or something for a couple thousand.

Diamond pistons necessary for a turbo
rolleyes.gif
kaboom.gif

I agree about the mustang tho.

...your info sucks, other than the mustang crap.

The starting platform info is good.

6K for a turbo kit? As of now, any turbo kit will have to be made. There are CEg'ers who have made them for a considerably less amount of money that that.

3-4K for a tranny? You can get a fully built trans with every bell and whistle installed from the great TH for about 2K.

Bulletproof motor? These engine have shown numbers of over 400 whp. I mean...my god...

Exhaust work note is good.

And thousands in misc stuff? are you joking?

I can see a thousand in "misc" stuff. (if the category is broad enough.)

Tuning, dyno time, software (e-manage, prp, etc), code purchases for PRP, bolts, gaskets, o-rings, TTY's.. it all adds up.

Other than THAT, the rest of the entire post was bunk, and I tend to agree with you on that.

I agree that this post seems high on the prices, but I think that he is including labor for everything. A HMS fully built transmission with a qualife is around 2k, along with over 1k in labor to pull and replace the tranny and to buy and replace the clutch with a better clutch while the tranny is out. Not everybody can pull their own trans on a Contour. Then, I think he was just throwing out a number for a new ADC turbo kit (even though they don't sell it anymore). And a custom kit would cost alot too if you don't do it yourself. For misc. stuff.... Sticky tires to handle a turbo on a fwd contour aren't cheap either! Also, a nice exhaust, short shifter, lightweight flywheel, etc... And yes, engine management and tuning is freakin expensive! :bah:

Just thought I'd throw out another perspective.

Reebs

I've gotta agree with everyone. You are looking at AT LEAST $3500 all said and done. And that's if you do a bunch of stuff yourself and find a bunch of good deals.

I also agree that your tranny MUST be healthy before attempting any FI. You can get CD4E's on ebay for around $800 if you can do it yourself.

If you are still serious... The TD04-13G would be just about perfect for your stock ATX. You could also go with the TD04-15G for future expansion. The TD04-15G may be the wiser choice. It is a larger turbo. It would save your ATX from a massive torque spike in the lower RPMs.

If you want to go with a Garrett turbo instead of a Mitsubishi, a T3 60 or T3 Super 60 would work.

Here's a map for the TD04-15G and a T3 Super 60:

http://server5.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=TD04H-15G_VE85.jpg

http://server5.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=T3_S60_VE85.jpg

BTW, I still have my T3 Super 60 for sale if you are interested. I PM'd ya. ;)

HTH,
BP

Last edited:
...your info sucks, other than the mustang crap.

The starting platform info is good.

6K for a turbo kit? As of now, any turbo kit will have to be made. There are CEg'ers who have made them for a considerably less amount of money that that.

3-4K for a tranny? You can get a fully built trans with every bell and whistle installed from the great TH for about 2K.

Bulletproof motor? These engine have shown numbers of over 400 whp. I mean...my god...

Exhaust work note is good.

And thousands in misc stuff? are you joking?

So I can get a turbo for a considerable amount less? How much less? I'll be reasonable and say 3k then 2k for a fully built trans. 500 dollars exhaust and i will have 400 hp huh? you think for 5500 dollars I can have that huh. How bout this, you build your car turbo-ed, tuned and running 400+ hp for 5500 dollars and I will buy it. :)

Back