• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Differences SVO -vs- Sport swap

I currently have a Supercharged 1998 Mark VIII. It is quick (ok kinda quick) but VERY unreliable and costly to maintain. I am 18 and will be in college, starting a life, etc. and no longer have the time nor want tos pend the money to fix the car. A 3L 5spd Contour is right up my alley, what can I expect in differences between the two models? If it was your car what would you get?

Is the SVT significanlty better handling? Better braking? Lighter Weight? Etc... My main focus is handling, 1/4 miles times, good on gas (I will likely be running 87 octane + a little alky injection to keep air temps and detonation down + a small shot of nitrous.) and good on insurance. All are important factors, but obviously keeping the cost of maintaing and driving the car down are of paramount importance.

Right now I am thinking a 2 stage alky (will be running 70% isopropyl because I have to drive too far to get meth) setup where I would have one relay and hobbs switch activate under decent throttle, and then when I want to use nitrous I would activate a toggle switch and wire a relay to a solenoid and second nozzle. Probably both fairly small like M1 or mabye M2.

I have been browsing the swap details thread and am really looking forward to this. I will have about $7-8K to spend on the car and swap as a conservative number. Likely 9K.

Other mods will include garage made intake, garage made exhaust, and likely garage made headers. Is there anywhere you know of that sells header flange kits? I can make my own but am lazy in the machine shop. Tuning will be a dyno tune with an SCT Xcal2.

Any advice is well appreciated. Thanks.
-Kyle

Last edited:
lol yes, oops.

One more quick question, is the deck height of the 3.0 taller? If not is the 2.5 SVT intake better to use? I think I read it used IMRC plates which I could easily delete. Just wondering if it has better volume/runner length/performance than the plastic 3L Intake.

On the intake some people like the 3L intake because it is easier. But the general consensus is that the SVT intake is the way to go. You just have to port the 3L heads to adapt to the SVT intake runners. I removed the Secondary butterflies, and don't think it effected the low end much or any.

Has anyone ported the SVT contour intakes? What were the gains from doing so? If I could pick up 20WHP or so I would gladly chop up the intake and port it.

You can send them off to Extrude Hone, which is what is done from the factory on our intake manifolds. They can open them up significantly to give you a small gain. (probably 2-5 HP at the wheels). It flows pretty damn well from the factory

Here's the short and sweet answer. BUY MY CAR! I have a link in my signature to my classified ad. You won't have to worry about doing a 3L swap, making your own headers, getting the Xcal2, etc. I've got everything done for you! I've got the suspension setup you'll be looking for, a big brake upgrade kit comes with the car, and the fuel delivery(39# injectors and a Focus SVT fuel pump) is ready for nitrous! :cool:

Mark

Few problems with that, #1 I have to sell my car first. WOuld you be interested ina trade for a supercharged Mark VIII w/ 46K on it? The reason I am selling is I blew up the trans, but I will be putting in a brand new trans and converter as well as a Posi w/3.73s so that wont happen again. I will just be tired of the car afetr putting the trans in + its 91 octane ony + the insurance is on the high side for me.

Most people use 87 with a 3.0. I ran 87 in my 3.0L Sable. My Mark VIII has a meth kit on it and still is premium only.Versus the SVT which can still run with regular (as mandated by the US Govt).

Regardless I am going to be running alky so even a 5-6% fuel replacement will raise octane plenty. Also if I really like the contour I will probably pick up one for a prooject car and turbo it.

Last edited:
Your 3.0L Sable was programmed to run 87 octane fuel. You aren't installing the Sable/Taurus/Escape computer when you swap in the motor to the Contour.
No, I wouldn't be interested in a trade. I've got one Lincoln, which is going to remain stock, and my only vehicle.
And you'll no doubt be better off paying the extra $2.50 at the pump to run premium fuel. I'd be willing to bet the gas mileage on my SVT is a LOT better than your Mark VIII. It gets 29-30mpg on the highway, and about 20-22 in the city.
Once you get the Mark VIII sold, send me a PM. :cool:

Mark

Actually thats my highway milage. My city pure city mialge is something like 15 and I average 18 with a heavy foot. Great gasmilage car.

I will be running alcohol as I have said before. It's cheaper, raises the octane higher, creates less heat, makes less dependance on quench, and rgeatly reduces intake temps (which in florida is often 100+*)

Also the xcal 2 can hold 3 tunes, I plan on having an 87 alkyless octane gas milage tune on there. I need to save every bit I can. I am trying to start a small business wqithout getting a loan or staying in the red hardly at all.So far it is going surprisingly well.

Back