• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SHO Engine

I think members of shoforum.com, V8sho.com or shoclub.com might be interested..The transaxle is there, too.

Last edited:
Man, if he ever wants to sell that thing, tell him to place an ad on shoforum. Always demand for V8 motors in good working order because there are still plenty of cam-failed SHO's out there...just sitting in need of new life.

The SHO V8 did have a ford produced block, 3.4L, basically a 2.5 with 2 extra cylinders tacked on as was stated earlier. Has the same bore, bore spacing, and stroke of the 2.5 if i'm not mistaken....

...and probably one of the sweetest exhaust notes to ever come out of a Ford Taurus.

eh, i talked to my friend who has done about 30 cam welds on these things. he made an interesting point that by the time you buy this motor, ship it, then have someone install it it would cost much more than the car is worth. V8 SHOs arent worth squat in running condition. if it was for your own personal vehicle, and you could install it, then it would be pretty good. most people just can these cars when the motor goes out. if the cam weld has been done, then the motor should easily last at least 200k.

I test drove one of those cars before, and it seemed slooooooooow. Don't know if it was the weight of the car or if it was because of it being an auto, but I don't see why anyone would want to buy a v8 sho anyways.

theyre about equal to a stock csvt. low 15s. :shrug:

theyre really arent any mods for them. my buddy's is at ADC having the motor built and a turbo added.....we'll see how that turns out :help:

The evolution of the SHO went 3.0l V6 220 hp, 3.2L V6 225hp (automatic tranny), and finally 3.4L V8 with 234HP (I believe). If I had my way, I'd polish, port, tune, and install in a 6-speed Miata. It would fly.
It would fit, too. There are a few 5.0L Miatas out there tearing things up.

There is a 5.0L 1990 Miata in Midland, that thing is wicked fast, and has a HUGE radiator.

theres a guy in western new york with a turbo SHO. pretty quick. i raced a stock SHO once. he kept up with me the entire time. i was very surprised. i raced a 3.6 earlier and smoked it

theres a guy in western new york with a turbo SHO. pretty quick. i raced a stock SHO once. he kept up with me the entire time. i was very surprised. i raced a 3.6 earlier and smoked it

a turbo gen III sho?? ive never heard of it. are you mistaking it for the supercharged gen III? there's definitely one of those, possibly two.

There's a guy around Maryland somewhere that was on our local MN12 board. He somehow managed to stuff an M90 off of a TBird SC onto a 1st gen SHO. Yet to figure out how he pulled that off.

Yea I was always suprised about the 96-99 SHO's, a V8 3.4L (235hp) and they could only mustard another 20/15 horse power out of it compared to the 3.0(215hp)/3.2L(220hp)?? That and I think they are sloooow. My old 94 SHO would woop the pants off of one of the 3rd Gen SHO's. Also with all of the cam gear issues they had I wouldn't touch one with a 20 foot pole :nonono:

Last edited:
Gotta wonder why Ford used the 2.5 as the basis for the SHO V8, instead of the 3L. That would have yielded a 4L motor of equal external dimensions as well as one with a lot better power output. I think this is where the old "we can't have a sedan more powerful than the mustang" saying really comes in to play. In 1996 when the V8 SHO's came out with 235 horses...the Mustang GT was struggling with the 215 horse mod motor.

Of course, many a SHO have embarrased a Mustang GT of the same time period, that's nothing new...

Yea...the I don't quite get the idea of the V8, save for the fact that it makes pretty sounds. My mothers 98 just doesn't seem to have the low end power of my 95atx. Not a lot of room under the hood, and not a lot of performance parts for it out there. Plus, Ford seemed to design in countless hurdles for Do-It-Yourselfers that want to put an MTX in a 3rd gen SHO. I've yet to see one to this day.

Haha, you have no idea how right you are about the Mustang comment. Ford treasures the Mustang and absolutely wants nothing to beat it. I know when the 89 Tbird SC won the Car of the Year, the engineers that designed it were repremanded by Ford head-honchos because it beat the Mustang for the top honors. Then it (the SC) was fitted with such a restrictive exhaust, that it detuned the car 10 hp so it would be slower than the Mustang. Then I know in 95, Ford had designed a Thunderbird SVE with the 4.6 DOHC engine, T5, and 4.10's...4 were built...2 were crushed. I believe John Coletti has one and I wanna say Roush has the other. They just didn't want a faster car than the Mustang. Of course in 96, what happened, we seen almost the same setup in the Cobra.

Haha, you have no idea how right you are about the Mustang comment. Ford treasures the Mustang and absolutely wants nothing to beat it. I know when the 89 Tbird SC won the Car of the Year, the engineers that designed it were repremanded by Ford head-honchos because it beat the Mustang for the top honors. Then it (the SC) was fitted with such a restrictive exhaust, that it detuned the car 10 hp so it would be slower than the Mustang. Then I know in 95, Ford had designed a Thunderbird SVE with the 4.6 DOHC engine, T5, and 4.10's...4 were built...2 were crushed. I believe John Coletti has one and I wanna say Roush has the other. They just didn't want a faster car than the Mustang. Of course in 96, what happened, we seen almost the same setup in the Cobra.

I just don't understand why some companies say "make this car, but you can't make it better than our other car". Kind of the same thing with the Gran National vs the Vette. If the enginers assigned to the compaines "premire" car can't make a better car then the other enginers, don't you think they would switch projects.

Back