• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Making Straight Pipes!

JoeM

Veteran CEG'er
Well After seeing an identical CSVT put down 10 more HP than me, because he has no cat...
I am making straight pipes!

This is going to be from the y pipe, to just past where the resonater is.

This Should very well pickup a solid 10-15 FWHP.

I will be using Aluminized steel.
If any one is interested in Purchasing one of these, let me know.

This would be a DIRECT replacement.

You would need to weld the rear, and I am working on Finding the Correct Flange to add so that it will bolt directly to the Y pipe.

Cost isn't going to be huge, so I will see what I can make them for.

So long as it doesnt leak it shouldnt be horrible.
Ive got a 3yr old. If its too loud for her... I wouldnt offer them.

hmm.. 10 hp or 4-5 realistically is worth it to you, knowing you are polluting the air your 3 yr old will be breathing.

LOL. I wish removing the main cat picked up 10-15 whp. Yeah, i say about 5 whp like everyone else. Every car is different. Ive seen people with intake and true duals put down low 160 whp and almost stock svts put down 170 whp.

LOL. I wish removing the main cat picked up 10-15 whp. Yeah, i say about 5 whp like everyone else. Every car is different. Ive seen people with intake and true duals put down low 160 whp and almost stock svts put down 170 whp.

Ive got Dyno sheets to prove it.

2 98 CSVT's
SAME Full 3L
Same Fuel System
Same Stock Exhaust.
He has a straight Pipe through the Second Cat(Cat is completly gone, Cut out, and Straight pipe added in.
He picked up 10 HP 15Tq on me.

Ive got Dyno sheets to prove it.

2 98 CSVT's
SAME Full 3L
Same Fuel System
Same Stock Exhaust.
He has a straight Pipe through the Second Cat(Cat is completly gone, Cut out, and Straight pipe added in.
He picked up 10 HP 15Tq on me.

What kind of power was he making before the cat removal? Btw, weve all been thinking its been a 2.5L this whole time.

What kind of power was he making before the cat removal? Btw, weve all been thinking its been a 2.5L this whole time.

Before the removal, it had to be a little less than me. From 80 in 4th(both of us) giving him the slight jump, my car would pull past him. Now 80 in 4th he can give me 2 or 3 cars and still pull me.

I will try and get the dyno sheets up later today.

Before the removal, it had to be a little less than me. From 80 in 4th(both of us) giving him the slight jump, my car would pull past him. Now 80 in 4th he can give me 2 or 3 cars and still pull me.

I will try and get the dyno sheets up later today.

Well that doesnt help me because I dont know what you made.

Basically, I would imagine if he was putting down relatively low numbers before the cat removal, then I would guess his cat was on the way out.

Okay, i found the dyno thread in the mustang forums.

Okay, so he was putting down 179 whp before the cat removal. To me thats low and leads me to believe his cat was bad.

Okay, i found the dyno thread in the mustang forums.

Okay, so he was putting down 179 whp before the cat removal. To me thats low and leads me to believe his cat was bad.

No i put down 179 WHP with a Straight 3L swap. Stock Exhaust. No mods what so ever.

He put down 194 TQ 189 WHP with the same build, but he has a straight pipe through the Cat.

Kyle put down 182/182.

Like i said, I will get the dyno sheets up later today.

No i put down 179 WHP with a Straight 3L swap. Stock Exhaust. No mods what so ever.

He put down 194 TQ 189 WHP with the same build, but he has a straight pipe through the Cat.

Kyle put down 182/182.

Like i said, I will get the dyno sheets up later today.

So what did he dyno at before the straight pipe?

See thats something that you cant really do even if they are the same 3.0L build.

Ive seen hybrids with pnp heads put down in the upper 180 whp while Y2KSVT hybrid with no head work put down 196 whp without a tune. Ive seen split/oval port put down 200-220 whp with essentially the same build. Every engine is different and you cant really compare his engine with yours even if they are the same build. The only way to really get real hp gains is to dyno the same car before and after and on the same dyno. ;)

See thats something that you cant really do even if they are the same 3.0L build.

Ive seen hybrids with pnp heads put down in the upper 180 whp while Y2KSVT hybrid with no head work put down 196 whp without a tune. Ive seen split/oval port put down 200-220 whp with essentially the same build. Every engine is different and you cant really compare his engine with yours even if they are the same build. The only way to really get real hp gains is to dyno the same car before and after and on the same dyno. ;)

I plan on re tuning after the pipe is in. I just wanted to Gauge Interest.
For a Viable 10-15 FWHP and an hour or 2 of time to swap out your old one. I think this could be a decent bolt on type of thing.

I BELIEVE it will work on the Cougars as well.

Me: Stock 3L/stock Exhaust
DynoGraph.jpg

Ryan: Stock 3L/Straight Pipe Through 1 cat.
DynoGraph-1.jpg

I think the air/fuel curves say enough that you cant compare two engines. ;)

Your off the chart in one of your pulls and hes right around a healthy 13:1.

Id really like to say removing the cat makes 10-15 whp, but with such a small displacment engine and seeing how much a 2.5L responds to mods, I dont see it happening unless your cat is shot to begin with.

Come back and post the results when you put your straight pipe in. Id like to see the results. :)

Back