• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

$100 cell phone ticket

CSVT1214

Addicted CEG'er
BAHH!!!!! Every time I pass a cop I throw my phone into my lap. I see people on phones all the time passing by cops, never get stopped. So today, my g/f calls, I see a cop behind me, but w/e, I answer it. I figured with the tints, he couldn't see me on the phone. Next thing I know, flashing lights. :mad:

$100 cell phone ticket

And I was told my tints are illegal, no matter what % they are, until I go to DMV, they check the car, and give me sticker saying it's legal and I need to leave the sticker on my window. :shrug:

lol your tint isnt that dark now Tony! come on now, and that law about having a sticker stating its legal is pretty bogus!:nonono:

on the tint sticker I have heard of this before in CT but when I asked about it when I had my tint done I was told it wasn't needed any more ... also I don't recall coming across any information on it on the DMV site ...

hmmm I found this on http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/CT/

Sticker RequirementsThe sticker to identify legal tintingwindow. is required between the film & glass on each tinted

Cited. 30 CA 263, 266. Connecticut Window Tint Law

Sec. 14-99g. Definitions.

Tinted or reflectorized windows.
Obstruction of view prohibited.
Exceptions.
Sale or delivery of motor vehicles having tinted or reflectorized windows prohibited.
Stickers required.
Penalty.
Window tinting businesses.
Regulations.

well everything thing that I am finding says you need a sticker ...

Last edited:
I've heard about a trick on the news for getting the cell phone tickets dropped.

Purchase a handsfree/Bluetooth device after, send a copy of the receipt along with the ticket checked off for "Not Guilty", and it will either be dropped or reduced.

My phone is old as sh*t and I was replacing it soon for something with Bluetooth, but the thing will not die!! Original phone, battery, etc. Never drops calls, almost always full signal strength. I'd just hate to get rid of it for something new but less reliable.

I bought my new Pioneer stereo with integrated Bluetooth which works amazing, but my phone right now doesn't have Bluetooth. I've used it with friends phones though.

Brian, I asked the cop about the tint thing and how that works, and he really didn't have a clue. I said it there a charge for getting the stickers at DMV, like a registration or something and he said he didn't know, but give them a call.

I really don't want to put stickers all over my friggin windows. If it's a single sticker, I'll put it in the front, otherwise I'm ripping those things off, keep them in the car with me and risk getting stopped for not having them. Such a dumb law.

well the only other thing that I can think of is that when I had my tint done the shop gave me a sheet that listed the %'s and a run down of their notes about scratches, bubles, etc ... maybe keep something like that with the car ....

but all I can seem to rememeber is hearing about a sticker and finding out that you don't need it anymore ... I mean DMV has a light meter that they use when they inspect a car for a new registration ...

And I was told my tints are illegal, no matter what % they are, until I go to DMV, they check the car, and give me sticker saying it's legal and I need to leave the sticker on my window. :shrug:

My brother used to get crap from the cops all the time when he had his pimped out Civic. What he did was go to the DMV and get the window tints tested. If they are legal you will be issued a DMV form stating that your windows are indeed tinted aftermarket and that they are legal if thats the case. IF they are legal keep the certificate in the car at all times. If you get stopped for it again present them with the certificate.

Well then I should be ok. I've never been stopped before.

Be aware of where the cops are if you are using your phone without a hands free. The law for how much the fine can be has changed to $100. The way it works is that the state collects the fines for cell phones but then at the end of the year returns the money collected from fines for cell phone back to the police depts. that issed them. So its basically now worth a local police department's trouble to put officers out who are looking for violators becasue its a way of generating revenue.

Before the new law they could only issue a fine if using the cell phone was a secondary offence, like you had a headlight out, or not wearing a seatbelt, or involved in an accident and were on the phone when it happened and it was only a $25.00 fine. For that small ammount it wasn't worth the time and effort for the police departments to do anything to enforce the law becasue it cost them more to generate the ticket than they collected from the fine.

Back