• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

AJ in need of help again

AliasJerk

Addicted CEG'er
Well guys, I am back with a contour related issue.

2.0L MTX 99 SE contour

Its starting to get a little warm today, I just got the car and have put no more then 300 miles on it yet.

Since it was warmer out I decided to pump some A/C at my face.... I turned the switch to "A/C" on the HVAC, and sat there waiting for the cool air.

....Nothing, the air is no colder then the outside air. I think to myself "well maybe it just needs a recharge" I have a kit at home. Problem is... I cant feel the compressor, nor can I hear it kick on. Naturally I figured this would be a fuse, so I started flipping through my owners manual to find the A/C system doesnt have a fuse, it has a relay, I have no idea how to check those, my guess is that the relay is fine.

I have never delt with A/C systems so I havent the first clue on what the checklist of events is for possible issues.

This needs to be fixed before summer, I have some traveling planned and if I dont have cold air, I will go insane.

when the refrigerant get too low the compresor wont kick on there for it wont suck the refrigerant from the can. u will have to jump the relay with a piece of wire to get the compresor to start pulling in the 134a. add a full can of 134a while relay is jumped, pull the jumper out and reconnect the wire harness and that should be enough juice to have the compresor come on on its own then u can add more. but it will leak out again :) the rubber rings go bad over time and need replacement , vacuum system down make sure holds for about 30 minutes b4 adding134a and that should fix it. if u jump the relay and the compresor doesnt come on there is a good possibility the compresor is bad

Last edited:
you do realize that the temp needs to be well over 40/50 degrees for it to work like it does in the summer ....

No it wasnt, it was a HIGH of 60.

WTF is with you and lieing out of your ass?

No it wasnt, it was a HIGH of 60.

WTF is with you and lieing out of your ass?

Sorry, typo I know very well the temperature was only 60.

Either way, it is enough to feel the difference. Plus again, you are supposed to hear the compressor turning on and off.

Last edited:
Well Jared remember that the car sat for almost a year with nothing done to it. Just sitting. Get a can of 134 and some dye and inject it into it. Check it out then and see how it goes. If it still doesn't work, bring it over. Also, drive it around a week with the dye in it, get a black light and get under the car and see where it is leaking from. My guess without looking at it or into it, the accumulator since at school most leaks were found there. But then again I have no idea.

Sorry, typo I know very well the temperature was only 60.

Either way, it is enough to feel the difference. Plus again, you are supposed to hear the compressor turning on and off.

Way to edit it to try and sound much less stupid...

From "it felt like 70 goshhhhhhh" to "Very well know it was 60"

please search for posts that I have made on the ac system before ... first thing is first get the correct gages and check the pressures ... if they are wrong then go from there ...

Back