• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Speakers cutting in and out on bumps

PurpleMystique

Hard-core CEG'er
I put a Kenwood deck in my sister's '99 Contour last year and recently it's been having problems. When she hits even the slightest bump all 4 speakers will cut out. I pulled the HU and checked my wiring, and it's all good. While the car was stationary, I shook the HU and messed with the wiring and everything, and it didn't cut out at all. But as soon as we started driving, even with the passenger holding the HU, it would cut out, so I know it's not the head unit, harness, or wiring coming off of the unit. What else can I check?

I wouldn't think it did, but I'm not sure. It's a '99 ATX Zetec with power locks and windows, cloth seats, and it came with the factory tape player. I'll check next time she comes over.

Three of the speakers are stock, and one blew so I replaced it. I checked every single wire coming off of the HU and they're all good. I shook, pulled, yanked, etc on each individual wire but the HU would not cut out. But the second I started driving it immediately started cutting out. It doesn't appear that anything is happening with the HU since it's playing just like normal, as if nothing's wrong. When going over a very bumpy road it will "stutter" like something's being shaken, not like it's overheating or going into some sort of protection mode.

dont mean to thread hijack but my head unit cuts out when i open it to put in a cd or when i hit a hard bump..think it could be the connection behind the glove box?

ya well theres a lil tab on the side or back i cant remember of the glovebox, and if you'd push it in, the box will flop right down. And I dunno, maybe you need "premium sound" on your front speaker grill, then (im only guessing) you have an amp, if not, I think you don't.... but don't quote me on that. Only way to really know is to check I guess I guess right?? lol. dam I hate speaker probs too.

Okay, I'm home for the weekend so I got another chance to check it out. I verified that there is NO factory amp, so that couldn't be it. Also, at this point the HU spends most of its time off, and only rarely flickers back on. I pulled it and put the original unit back in, to find that it worked great (minus the crappy sound of the stock Ford head units). I found this weird seeing as the aftermarket HU worked fine no matter how hard I shook it or the wiring harness, but as soon as I started driving the car around it would cut out. I guess the stock HU is in for now, maybe I'll try re-doing the wiring harness and I'll see if that helps. Any other thoughts?

Sometimes an aftermarket HU will need a direct battery feed for the constant power (due to internal "high power" amplifiers). Seems it would blow the radio fuse though (only 7.5 amp) if that was the problem. I'd bench test the aftermarket HU or maybe it does have a harness problem. At least you know the problem isn't the car's wiring.

Three of the speakers are stock, and one blew so I replaced it. I checked every single wire coming off of the HU and they're all good. I shook, pulled, yanked, etc on each individual wire but the HU would not cut out. But the second I started driving it immediately started cutting out. It doesn't appear that anything is happening with the HU since it's playing just like normal, as if nothing's wrong. When going over a very bumpy road it will "stutter" like something's being shaken, not like it's overheating or going into some sort of protection mode.

Pictures for one would be nice... Here's what I think, if the HU is staying on but the sound is cutting out, try pulling out that speaker you replaced and driving around again, see if it cuts out, or just slam the door of the speaker you replaced, does your problem occur? Cause if your speakers are shutting off but your deck isn't, your speakers or wires are probably grounding out somewhere...

dont mean to thread hijack but my head unit cuts out when i open it to put in a cd or when i hit a hard bump..think it could be the connection behind the glove box?

What HU is it? / Car make/model/year Pictures of stereo wiring?

The deck was a threeish year old Kenwood, not sure of the model number. The first post in the thread mentions it's a '99 Contour, and later mentioned there's no factory amp. I put the stock deck back in and it's working fine. I'm assuming the Kenwood HU is dead.

The deck was a threeish year old Kenwood, not sure of the model number. The first post in the thread mentions it's a '99 Contour, and later mentioned there's no factory amp. I put the stock deck back in and it's working fine. I'm assuming the Kenwood HU is dead.

Possibly, unless wires are touching somewhere.... could try another aftermarket HU to be sure...

But all four speakers are permanently out, no matter what. And all four speakers magically work when the HU is switched to the stock unit. Sooooooommmmmeeehooowwwww I doubt it's the speakers.

Last edited:
Back