• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

OBD II plug location

smackme

New CEG'er
Local DMV (Delaware) will not conect to OBD II plug, thus failing inspection on my 1999 Mercury Mystique. :mad:

The reason is that the conector is just dangleing by the wires and sould be mounted under dash. I have looked untill cramped to try and find out where the conector should mount but can not find the location. :shrug:

Any searching on web just turns up generic info and so here I am. If I can't find the correct location with your help, I guess I will fabricate something this weekend. A picture would be ace.

The connecter itself (you'll notice it has a narrow end, and a flared end) should slide through a small plastic "ring", if you will. It is nothing more than an exact duplicate of the outer shape of the OBD-II connecter (wider on one end, smaller on the other) which is mounted to the underside of the dash.

If you are sitting in the drivers seat, look right about where your left knee hits the dash. Reach under and around so that your hand is on the "inside" (opposite side) of where your knee hit. That is where the connector "ring" should be mounted. Not far from the under-dash lightbulb holder, mounted to the actual dash itself.

Well there you have it. The connector is tappered from side to side on the widest oposit sides but not front to back. I have pulled the lower dash panel off the car and see no other mounting locations (no OBD ring) on the back other then the light fixture. So I have "mystery meat" on my hands.

This is the area with out the panel. Notice conector in hand. Light hanging is light that mounts on panel.
curntOBDplug.jpg

This is where the light attaches to the panel, notice the plastic melted attachment to metal backing. On the right, it is as is. On the left of the light, I have inserted a screw into it. It feels firm and does not effect the visible side astetics. (spelling??)
lightspot.jpg

So this is where I think I will fab a perminate attachment. Notice two screws.
fabspot.jpg

Any suggestions on what way to align it?

Last edited:
alignment, schmilignment.. they will pass it regardless.. if you wanted to get pretty, just use a level and get it level with the dash panel itself.

good job in determining where and how to fabricate a mount. That is right around where it should be, either way.

So I have computer cases sitting around. I grab a cover plate and some proper screws and motherboard mounting hardware.and some tin snips.....
shtmtl.jpg

And here it is mounted on panel....
mounted.jpg

So this is what the mounting location will look like....
dahfit.jpg

Hardest part was drilling holes in the back of the plug itself. Carefull of the wires! So this is now it's new mounted home. Very secure. DMV can rot in hell I say. :p
done.jpg
http://www.hardwaregroup.com/~jedwards/imghld/done.jpg

So now if anyone has this problem here is some assistance for you if you can find it. Thanks for the info Ray. Thanks to CEG for being here.

I like that spot better than the stop position, at least as long as you don't hit your leg on it. The stock position is a bit more to the left, a little higher, and facing down.

I notice an mx518....you're a gamer aren't you?

I have an mx510 (red one) ... haha. Man that's a great mouse... sorry to jack your thread.

BTW, does the ODB-II port still work at all or what?

Yes to the gamer and yes to the port. No to the group order. :nonono: My honey do and todo list is like uber long this spring and summer.

As for the how-to, that is up to the powers that be on CEG.

Thanks folks,
smackme

BTW, it sailed threw inspection.

Last edited:
Back