• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Emission Testing

LGR Mystique

CEG'er
Anybody live in Ontario, and have had issues with their 98' Mystique or Contour passing the emission test? My Car failed on the "HC ppm" section :s don't know what that is..can anyone help?

HC=HydroCarbons
ppm=Parts Per Million

basically your either running too rich or the cat isnt doing its job or a combanation of both.

Too rich? sorry i'm new at this...i recently bought the car from it's previous owner who's had it since it came off the assembly line..i pulled up the vehicle's records and passed all the time but as soon as he sold it to me it failed..

rich: too much fuel not enough air.

could be several things that cause it, most comon being an O2 sensor

Could also be a simple as not warming the car up before the test. I'd consider an oil change, take it for a good run including some high speed to warm it up and blow out the carbon then retest.

Could also be a simple as not warming the car up before the test. I'd consider an oil change, take it for a good run including some high speed to warm it up and blow out the carbon then retest.

I agree. A common cause of emission test failures is not getting the cats hot enough to do their job. Drive it long enough for the engineto be thoroughly warmed up (at least 20 minutes) then another 5 or 10 minutes of more spirited driving and take it in for the smog test. Make sure they test it immediately. If they let the cats cool down it is not as likely to pass. They may try to tell you that they can heat the cats up by reving the engine, but that's not entirely correctly. The cats will not be properly heated without a load (spirited driving).

I would also suggest that the air filter be checked and replaced if it is even slightly restriced. It would not hurt to run a can of injector cleaner through the fuel tank first as well as a mitter of maintenance, but run the tank of gas with the injector cleaner through and refill the tank before returning for the test.

Also make sure your Engine Coolant Temperature sensor is working well. A bad ECT sensor and make the car not want to warm up (resulting in a permanent rich condition).

Back