• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

??clutch??

xdetroitx

CEG'er
i have a 99 csvt with 134k clutch pedal has to be released almost all the way for it to engage and bucks a lil bit but now it seems that it takes longer to get up to speed with higher rpm which is main concern

I have no idea what that advice was. LOL! Sounds like you have a couple issues. If it's taking longer to get up to speed your secondary butterflies are not opening at around 3400 RPM. Either the electronics in the IMRC are out or the cable that opens them has become disconnected or broken. Yes, you might have air in the clutch line but it sounds like your clutch is on it's way out.

Let's test it.

Go on to a side street (or one with no traffic), accelerate to 10-15mph. Place the car in 5th and FLOOR the gas.

Do the revs climb up at all, or does the car stumble and struggle to accelerate while both the speedo and revs stay about the same?

If it climbs.. its slipping. Bleeding won't help. Having air in the system would cause it to grind when shifting, as air in the system causes the clutch to not RELEASE enough.. it has no effect on clamping force.

will test the 5th gear at 15 mph tomorrow but i was getting prices and advance autoparts has a kit for $344.00 brand is perfection which includes plate, disc,bearing and allignment tool. autozone has a set for $250 brand luk includes plate,disc,bearing. they both also include slave cyl. was wondering has anyone heard of or used either of these brands and how are they for everyday driving?

will test the 5th gear at 15 mph tomorrow but i was getting prices and advance autoparts has a kit for $344.00 brand is perfection which includes plate, disc,bearing and allignment tool. autozone has a set for $250 brand luk includes plate,disc,bearing. they both also include slave cyl. was wondering has anyone heard of or used either of these brands and how are they for everyday driving?

I personally wouldnt go anywhere near Advance/Autozone for these kinds of parts. Get a clutch kit from Bill Jenkins at Team Ford. It might cost a little more, but it will be a good kit.

Also you can get a Spec Stage 1 for nearly the same price as a stock replacement, if not cheaper.

Just a couple of options.

15 mph in 5th gear is a bit brutle, iven for a clutch test. 25 mph should give you the test you need. 25 mph in 5th gear then after the pedal is fully up, floor the throttle.

thanks for advice. i will be pulling out the trans today and hoping to have it done this weekend . not sure what im getting myself into

clutch test didnt fail but it up to temp either, it grabs nice when engine is cold and i will try it again on the way to work mon when its nice and hot but im pretty sure it needs a new one anyway because of all the pedal travel. i dont even have to push the clutch in 1 inch to change gears. autozone didnt have clutch in stock so i will have to wait til next weekend to get dirty. no i dont have cherry picker lol i just two small tool boxes packed full of tools jack and jack stands no garage niether, i live in apartments so if it is raining at that time i am soaked lol. also i will be doin it with engine still in car.

Then you will be pulling the inner and outer shafts, dropping the subframe, dropping the exhaust, and seperating the transaxle from the engine. I'd at LEAST have something higher than jack stands. you aren't going to want to work under the car with 8 inches of clearance.
I do not envy your position.

oh no...i think todd was trying to tell you that you need one....my friend did his clutch on jackstands but it was a 240sx....rwd...and it took 3 weeks...and he wasnt' doing it in a parking lot...

I think he we have no problem changing his clutch on stands. That's how I changed mine and my friend's csvt.

While still on the topic, and I don't mean to interrupt this thread, but today my clutch Spec1 started acting werid. When I press to change gear it doesn't go up smoothly. Instead it kinda jerks/jumps a little. There is a point where the pedal will stop for a moment and then kick back up. At the same time I noticed that it is hard to get into 2nd and 4th gear. I bled the clutch 30min ago, and still the same. Pedal works fine when car is in neutral...can that be the bearing?
ohhh, almost forgot. Car also stalled 3 times within 4 miles drive. Coming to a red light, it will drop to 250rpm and engine will die if i don't press the gas...dunno if it is connected to the clutch issue....:((
Again, sorry for the interruption:)

XdetroitX, good luck with your clutch. If you have a buddy helping, you should be able to get it done in about 12 hours (if first time).

Last edited:
Even if you don't pull the engine, you will still need a cherry picker to hold up the engine with some of the mounts removed when trying to pull the tranny. You need a cherry picker either way. Where around Detroit are you!?!? Because it sounds like you will defenitly need some help!

I've done it with two jacks holding the engine up, while I lowered the tranny down by hand (with help)

Back