• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Question about recalls for the svt

davesvt98

CEG'er
I got into my 98 contour svt today after work and snap, my right front spring broke. I've read that there is a recall for this problem. Does anyone know the details on how I get ford to fix it? I live in Canada, and the car has just over 200,000 kms on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I am fairly broke, and need the car to get to work.

If you were in the US, your car would most likely still be covered (10yr/150K miles) under Recall 01M08

However, I have no information as to the Canadian version or even if one was issued. Best advice is to call your Ford dealer with your VIN.

Perhaps a Canadian member will have the correct information for you.

Steve

Last edited:
I'm now in the same boat with a snapped left coil spring. 125,000 miles and no explanation as to why the SVT isn't included in the extended warranty program. I spoke with four separate individuals through Ford Customer Care and nobody could tell me why the SVT is excluded.

The OEM replacement spring is the same part number as the SE (which is covered under the extended warranty). So I fired off a two paged letter to Dearborn pleading my case. We'll see what the response is.

I hope you guys get it sorted out. The only reason i could see an SVT not being covered is because it is the higher end sports version, so naturally they would assume that it would be beaten on, therefore spring damage would be from hard driving and not generic failure. because auto manuf's are cool like that.

Suspension is shot at the mileage anyways. Just get the BAT kit and have a new found love for the car!!! Silly Canadians!

I have been reading that and it doesnt help me. I dotn have an SVT so i dont care whether they are covered under the warranty or not. I just wanted to know what steps i need to take to get my SE Sport fixed...
Well, why not go to a dealer and find out? You're going to have to go there eventually to get the work done if you qualify. As far as info on any recalls: http://www.alldata.com/vehicle_owner/index.html
Karl

The SVT suspension wasn't covered because it was different than the rest of the CDW platform. Ford felt the problem was limited to the softer springs.

The SVT suspension wasn't covered because it was different than the rest of the CDW platform. Ford felt the problem was limited to the softer springs.

Ok, so I have heard that the springs are the same and they aren't the same. What one is it? Can I just go to a junkyard and pick up a spring from a v6 tour and throw it in my SVT with out any problems?

I recently baught my CSVT too and I'm in Canada. I talked to my local Ford dealer and our Canadian cars have a warrenty till Oct '07 (roughly 10 yrs from purchase date). So get it in there quick!!!!

Just letting you know what I was told.

Mike

Back