• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Removing Windshield?

Heywood

Hard-core CEG'er
I am hoping to salvage a windshield this weekend to put on my car. I have just been looking for info on how to remove the windshield and have not come up with a lot.
I am worried now cause a couple of the articles I looked at siad it was difficult to remove the glass without breaking it. Now I have a few questions.
1. Is our windshield fixed with adhesive, this seems most likely?
2. Will it be difficult to remove the glass without breaking it?
3. Does anyone know how much it would cost to have the glass professionally installed?
4. Should I even consider installing it myself?
5. How long will it take to remove it?

I'd appreciate any input, thanks.

Uum a job left up to the professionals. 90% of the time it will crack upon removal as well. I've never paid for a cracked windshield. Insurance FTW!

I went threw the same thing a while ago. I was going to use the windshield from my parts car, but after talking to auto glass guys it would be a huge pita. Basically take piano wire and start cutting around the windshield to get it out....would take several hours to do so. Just take it in and get a new one. It was around $300(?) I want to say for mine with ppg glass. You can get cheaper if want.

todd, how much do you pay for autoglass coverage? right now I just have liability on my car since it isn't worth anything LOL.

Thanks for the comments, doesn't sound too promising. I will do some more reading and report back.

Ug... I have full glass coverage through Farmers. If I even claim a chip repair, it'll raise my rates. So I pay for the monthly chip repairs out of pocket and if I need to get the glass replaced I'll use the insurance.

I think we pay about $7 extra per month for windshield insurance IIRC. Plus there are local companies that will pic up the deductable. Def. worth it. We've had 3 replaced in about 15 years......our cost = $0. :cool:

Back