• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

El cheapo MAF adapter

Jason43

CEG'er
I stopped at a local camping supply store yesterday to get a propane tank filled up. I looked around the store while they filled my tank and these things caught my eye.

maf001.jpg

I didn't ask what exactly they were, but I'm assuming they're some kind of sewage fitting for campers. You can see there's a lip around the inside that needs to be trimmed down and the mounting holes need to be re-drilled to match the MAF. But, after you trim it up, it's the perfect size to mate a ru-3530 to the SVT MAF. And the best part about it is it cost $2.49.

Cool find. I may have to look into it. The threads on my maf adapter are pretty much stripped. I keep having to put in bigger bolts to rethread it each time I remove it :cry: and that may not work the next time. What's this one made out of?

Cool find. I may have to look into it. The threads on my maf adapter are pretty much stripped. I keep having to put in bigger bolts to rethread it each time I remove it :cry: and that may not work the next time. What's this one made out of?

umm just put nuts on the other side. dur

Durr, theres no room for nuts or bolt heads with the rubber of the intake and the clamp. I already tried! :p I even shaved down the edge of a bolt head but I found that those bolts were rethreading the maf adapter and tightened fine.

Mine works fine with nuts on the other side. I used round head bolts with an opening in the center for an allen wrench. They clear the filter with no problem.

Durr, theres no room for nuts or bolt heads with the rubber of the intake and the clamp. I already tried! :p I even shaved down the edge of a bolt head but I found that those bolts were rethreading the maf adapter and tightened fine.

flip them around so the nuts are on the maf side. do i need to take a pic? f- it im going out to take on right now.

dose this help any? im not trying to be an ass.
Image011.jpg

Last edited:
Mine works fine with nuts on the other side. I used round head bolts with an opening in the center for an allen wrench. They clear the filter with no problem.

Yeah, I think this will also be the route that I take. I was just using what I had lying around my shop.

Nope, if I flip the bolts so the bolt heads are on the filter side, the heads will hit the rubber lip at the end of the filter.

If I have to keep retapping it with a bigger bolt, then eventually the bolts will be too big for the MAF itself. Which is not something I want to modify.

With these last bolts I put in, it seemed to rethread the maf adapter pretty good and hold tight. But if I remove and reinsert them, it may mess it up again.

What about countersunk allen head bolts? Most adapters are thick enough that you could fully sink them... and it would look nice and clean too.

I'll countersink YOU! (I don't know anything about screw holes...yes I said that on purpose)

ok you know how those screw heads are flared? well you flare your holes on the maf adapter so the screw head fit flush with the maf adapter. dose that make sense? if not let us know. also if you goto your local hardware store and talk with them about it they can show you what you need and how to do it. bring your maf adapter with you and say " i want to countersink bolts/ screws into this" and tell them you want nuts on the other side. they will have everything you need more than likely.

Last edited:
Back