• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Simple ABS light question

96_contour_gl

CEG'er
The other day on the way back to my friends house we took a matenince road that had some good size drifts and the temp. was about 45 degrees so the snow was melting, thus creating a whole lot of mud(a good foot or so of it). Anywho so I told him that I bet my Contour could make it through he said no cause our friends old truck couldn't even make it through. Anyway half way through my ABS light came on and stayed on the rest of the way. Yes my Contour made it through I was quite proud of it and so was my friend. But I was wondering does this light come on only when the system is activated or does this mean I have a problem with it? It did shut off but came back on not too long ago when it was icy and then another time for no aparent reason.

The ABS is based on the rotation of the tires. If the front tires are rotating way faster than the rears, the PCM gets "confused" and think there is a problem. It is similar to putting the front wheels on the dynanometer for a tailpipe emissions test. The ABS light comes on for a short well after the test.

.... But I was wondering does this light come on only when the system is activated or does this mean I have a problem with it?

When the light is on, the ABS is not working. What kind of shape are the wiring harnesses in your engine compartment? I had problems with the ABS system, on my 96 SE, till I had the wiring harness recall done.

Back