• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How wide are your tires?

Brent372

Official SE Event Coordinator
I am going to getting some FSVT rims for the tour and was eyeing a set of 235/40/17 tires.
Doing all the match, these tires are 9.25" wide.
Stock CSVT tires are 8.46" wide.

Will I be able to?
Anybody running that size now?

I am on my second set of tires with that exact set-up on Euro Focus rims from BAT. It works great, but check the backspacing on the Focus rims you will be using - my tires barely clear, but do not rub - I have the BAT suspension kit on the car and it would not take any more lowering than that. I wanted this size because it gives you a correct speedometer reading without changing anything (same roll circumference as stock) and the 17's provide some protection against bent wheels.

Exactly why I picked that size. It has the closest total circumfrence to stock !!!!
I will be using Stock FSVT rims.
I think the backspacing is fine with no modification...

You shouldn't have a problem driving on that size, I just wouldn't cut a turn very fast/hard or you might rub.

Hmmmm.....

I will have to test it and see...
I should have these by the time I am ready to run at Sebring for next year's SVTOA meet.

I'm running that size. Before I put them on, I pounded down the "meat slicer" in the rear wheel well (per this forum) and I haven't had any rubbing/cutting. But the important part is the offset.

I'm running that size. Before I put them on, I pounded down the "meat slicer" in the rear wheel well (per this forum) and I haven't had any rubbing/cutting. But the important part is the offset.

Its good to do this to any wheel upgrade/replacement if you haven't done it in the past. I had to do it when I put my 18's on and I was suprised on how sharp it was. One bad bump w/ passengers in the back and your rear tires are done.

wide tires

wide tires

Seems like a very wide tire. I put 225-55-16's on 06 Focus wheels. They are 8 inches wide and just clear everywhere, I mean just barely. Looks great with the bigger tire. It looks like more of a mid size than a tuner rice burner now. I can get over 30 mpg now with the gear ratio difference too. 2.5 24v with 5 speed ,it's an SE.

Its good to do this to any wheel upgrade/replacement if you haven't done it in the past. I had to do it when I put my 18's on and I was suprised on how sharp it was. One bad bump w/ passengers in the back and your rear tires are done.

Can somebody post some pics as to what it is exactly I am supposed to "Smash"??

Seems like a very wide tire. I put 225-55-16's on 06 Focus wheels. They are 8 inches wide and just clear everywhere, I mean just barely. Looks great with the bigger tire. It looks like more of a mid size than a tuner rice burner now. I can get over 30 mpg now with the gear ratio difference too. 2.5 24v with 5 speed ,it's an SE.
It may sound wide, but when I look at my car from the back... the tires don't look all that wide. Maybe if I had an OEM wheel & tire on one side the width difference would be more apparent.

Also, I'm running them on only 7.5" wide rims. Most of the companies that specify section and tread widths for this size, measure it mounted on a 8.0" or 8.5" rim.

Hello,

I just picked up a 99 Contour SVT from DC and drove it back to Chicago, where i am from.

As far as the tire situation is concerned...well, i just put on new Bridgestone Potenzas G 009 225/50-16 on the stock E01 rims and i had the horror of hearing a bit of rubbing on the rear left wheel at some, if any, occasions. Well, i picked up a couple of Gorilla 1/4" wheel spacers to clear it up a bit, and of course, i dont' race, autox the car but i do feel like it needs to be treated fairly nice around curves and such.

For those of you with knowledge on this wheel spacer subject, particularly for the CSVT, do you recommend 1/4" w. spaces on stock rims/bolts/nuts or 1/8"? It was done tonight and took it out for a ride on the freeway and around town and not a problem...will check lugs tomorrow morning.

Thanks to all for your reply!

Last edited:
225/50/16 tires should not be rubbing from being too wide on factory wheels. That is the size I have on my '98 E0 wheels for winter with no problems at all.

Did you figure out where the tire was rubbing? Perhaps if you have a lot of weight in the trunk, or if the rear springs are sagging from age, it might be possible to rub the plastic wheel well liner. Spacers aren't the fix for that though... new springs/struts are necessary.

Oh, and welcome to CEG.:cool:

225/50/16 tires should not be rubbing from being too wide on factory wheels. That is the size I have on my '98 E0 wheels for winter with no problems at all.

Did you figure out where the tire was rubbing? Perhaps if you have a lot of weight in the trunk, or if the rear springs are sagging from age, it might be possible to rub the plastic wheel well liner. Spacers aren't the fix for that though... new springs/struts are necessary.

Oh, and welcome to CEG.:cool:

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Well, one problem that i forgot to mention is that this car has a rear left control arm bent, it is driveable but not "straight". Yes, i bought a new one, should be coming in soon and i am guessing that this was causing the issue with rubbing. As per the tires, the alignment wasn't done until that piece is put in place, next week.

I love this site, plenty of info, search is my best friend. :cool:

With 225/50-16's I would occasionally rub the rear struts while autocrossing. Under "normal" conditions you shouldn't be rubbing... so the bent control arm is most likely your problem.

Back