• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Full Oval Port 3L Swap How-To

96BlackSE

CEG'er
Hopefully this will help some people looking to do a complete oval port swap...

Starting off with the Escape engines
-If you start off with an Escape engine you will need an oval port plastic Taurus UIM with the Taurus TB bracket

Starting off with the Taurus Engines
-If you start off with the Taurus engines you will need to get a new updated escape oil pan, dipstick and oil pick up tube, or you may use the stock oil pan from your 2.5L along with the dipstick and oil pick up tube... There have been some changes to the design of the oilpan's so you are better off getting the newer ones
-You will also have to swap over the timing covers and the crank pulley from the 2.5 since the Taurus ones will not work...
-I prefer to use the Escape fuel rail since it’s much bigger than the Taurus one, so if you decide to go with a Taurus engine you might want to grab an Escape fuel rail, it also makes the modification a little bit simpler...
-The top passenger side engine mount has to be fitted onto the Taurus engine as well. Again, you can either use the one off of the 2.5 and grinded it up so it fits onto the engine with out taking the heads off or buy a new one which will need grinding as well… (the newer ones will need a bit less grinding) Also depending on the year of the engine there are 2 different sizes bolts which hold the mount in place, make sure you use the proper ones

If you want to use SVT cams on both engines
-If you are going to use the SVT cams you need to either use all the existing timing components from the 2.5 block or buy new proper timing equipment which consists of the crank sprocket, tensioners, guides and chains…
You cannot mix and match any of the older and newer equipment… “timing gears went from a 36-tooth camshaft gear to a 42-tooth camshaft gear and were used in the Escape/Tribute all the way through 2005”

Same for Taurus and Escape Engines
-If you are planning on keeping EGR you need to modify the tube for it to fit
-Trim the 2 brackets off the block for the alternator bracket (take your alternator bracket off of the 2.5 and try to bolt it up to the 3.0 then you will see where you have to do a little trimming)
-Take out the pilot bearing off the crankshaft. This can also be cut flush. While cutting make sure you protect the metal shavings from getting to the rear crank seal, this can be done by masking it off and cleaning after the cutting is done
-Extend the wires for the EGR solenoid and TPS sensors... If you decide to delete the EGR you can delete the solenoid as well since it won’t be needed. You will just have to run the small vacuum lines for the fuel pressure regulator, HVAC, and EVAP.
-Enlarge the hole for the throttle cable to fit the throttle linkage, you will see once you try to put the end of the throttle cable on to the throttle body
-Modify the Taurus TB bracket so you can use the contour cable, this is pretty simple once you have the parts on hand
- If you have a return fuel system, run the return line for the fuel rail, make sure you get it welded up by an experienced welder and pressure test it before driving around with it
-You will need to run the oval port injectors since the spray pattern between the oval port and split port injectors are different for this you would either have to wire in the EV6 injector connectors or you can buy adaptors from Ford Racing or Fiveomotorsport’s http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/Injector_CONNECT.asp
-Depending on the year of your vehicle and the 3.0 engine you are putting in you might have to change plugs for the wiring for the knock sensor and oil pressure sensor. Use the knock sensor that came with your 3.0.

You car will need a tune to compensate for the lack of IMRC, EGR if removed and the oval port injectors.

Last edited:
Two more things I noticed, But after the engine was in the car. First, the flange that has the Taurus transmission alignment dowel interfers with the pipes for the oil cooler. If you trim off this flange it should make more room for the lines. The hose from the cooler to the water pump was really tight, and slightly kinked.

Second, Check the threads on the 3L block where the RH drive shaft bracket mounts. Two of mine were threaded but were not cleaned out or something. The bolts would not go in. It was really difficult to tap them out with the engine in the car.

I have a Plastic Taurus intake with injectors if anyone needs it.

With out secondaries you can leave the IMRC in - then you only get a code at says they are not working correctly. I think it has to do with the return spring not being hooked up to the cable anymore. I think that LLADNAR fixed this on his and I will look into it this weekend.

Starting off with the Escape engines
-If you start off with an Escape engine you will need an oval port plastic Taurus UIM with the Taurus TB bracket
Just for clarification, is this b/c the throttle body bracketry is different betw. the contour and the escape, but the same betw the coutour and the taurus?

Also, one can use the Escape timing cover in the Contour? No mods necessary?

-Extend the wires for the EGR solenoid and TPS sensors... If you decide to delete the EGR you can delete the solenoid as well since it won’t be needed. You will just have to run the small vacuum lines for the fuel pressure regulator, HVAC, and EVAP.

Can I have pics of these please!!!!!

Can I have pics of these please!!!!!

What do you need a pic of?

what vacuum lines connect to what and which ones need to be extended.I am a "learn from pictures" type of person. If you point that out I can finally be done with my full 3L!!!!

More clarification - and maybe this is just too obvious: We're using the Contour engine wiring and ignition, correct? So we use the coil pack, injector harness, etc. and remove the coil on plug setup and all other wiring from the Escape and just toss it?

And just to further this walk down Possibly-dumb-question Lane: why not use the Escape harness and also the escape ECM? Coil on plug would be nice, not switching out the injector wiring would be nice. The SVT ECM has to be flashed anyway to futz with the butterfly controller stuff, so flashing the Escape ECM to tell it it's got an MTX instead of A4 shouldn't be a big deal....?

I've searched around and there is some discussion of the "can't use the Escape ECM" topic, but I guess not enough to make it stick for me.

I believe that there's insufficient room to use the coil on plug setup. The hood is just too close to the valve cover-at least the front bank.

Also, I do believe that your HT is meant for someone re-using the 3.0 intake and if you use the 2.5 intake there will not be any wire extension req'd nor do you require the oval port injectors.

I've seen an Escape timing chain cover fit and function correctly provided you use the Escape serpentine belt.

My 3.0 w/b a Taurus mill with all 2.5 ancilliaries. I prefer the "sleeper" look even if it costs me a couple HP. I believe in the KISS principle. Otherwise, Murphy's Law tends to take over.

Yes the contour wiring and ignition is used...

The problem with using the escape wiring harness is that the pin outs on the engine to body wiring harness connector at the drivers side will not match up... (it can be done though, but IMO it takes too much time for barely any sort of real gain)

More clarification - and maybe this is just too obvious: We're using the Contour engine wiring and ignition, correct? So we use the coil pack, injector harness, etc. and remove the coil on plug setup and all other wiring from the Escape and just toss it?

And just to further this walk down Possibly-dumb-question Lane: why not use the Escape harness and also the escape ECM? Coil on plug would be nice, not switching out the injector wiring would be nice. The SVT ECM has to be flashed anyway to futz with the butterfly controller stuff, so flashing the Escape ECM to tell it it's got an MTX instead of A4 shouldn't be a big deal....?

I've searched around and there is some discussion of the "can't use the Escape ECM" topic, but I guess not enough to make it stick for me.

I believe that there's insufficient room to use the coil on plug setup. The hood is just too close to the valve cover-at least the front bank.

Also, I do believe that your HT is meant for someone re-using the 3.0 intake and if you use the 2.5 intake there will not be any wire extension req'd nor do you require the oval port injectors.

I've seen an Escape timing chain cover fit and function correctly provided you use the Escape serpentine belt.

My 3.0 w/b a Taurus mill with all 2.5 ancilliaries. I prefer the "sleeper" look even if it costs me a couple HP. I believe in the KISS principle. Otherwise, Murphy's Law tends to take over.
Thanks for the info. I'm trying to take the KISS principle further - less R&R, get the car back on the road quicker. So I am using the oval heads, Escape LIM, etc. Definitely prefer to just keep the Escape TC on there. Looking at the wiring, it'd be less work to just keep the Escape loom on there - but if it ain't gonna work, or will make more work then screw that. So I gather that the injector connectors are different, so I will need to splice the Escape injector loom on my SVT harness.

What does "HT" stand for?

No - plenty of room, that's not the issue.

I got the word (from the guys at Nautilus) that the tune just can't be mod'd to support the COP. Shame that. Now I gotta buy new wires too...

BTW - I wouldn't be worried about the vac lines. You mostly just need to be sure that there's no opens - everything just needs to be hooked in to some sort of vacuum source.

BTW - I wouldn't be worried about the vac lines. You mostly just need to be sure that there's no opens - everything just needs to be hooked in to some sort of vacuum source.

Right.... the sources and destinations are what I am after. :)

So, "Remove pilot bearing" is just listed there like this is apparently something that is easily done. The one on my 3L Escape motor is not budging. I tried a pilot bearing removal tool. Nada. I tried the fill it with bearing grease, tape up a socket , hammer it in there and use hydraulic action to force it out trick. Multiple times on that one - Nada. I tried cutting notches on the outside part of it and using a gear puller. Nada. It's like welded on there. Something I'm missing?

Some have mentioned cutting it, but that just seems wrong. Hard to cut it flush without getting the crank. And it seems like the remainder still in there would interfere with the trans input shaft.

Nope, there's no interference with the MTX 75 input shaft. On a 2.5 crank there isn't even a bushing/bearing. I was kinda' surprised by this the frst time I pulled my trans to have it rebuilt and I thought the factory forgot it.

The tranny rebuilder told me that most FWD transaxles don't need it due to the short length of the shaft.

The last 3.0 I did I cut it off with an angle grinder and there were no issues whatsoever. I do agree that removing it w/b best though. The way I've got difficult ones out in the past is to very carefully use a hacksaw blade and cut a slot in it. Once you've cut almost all the way through you can tap it loose. Takes plenty of patience though...

Last edited:
I got the pilot off. I used a Cal-Van (el cheapo) pilot removal tool. Except that it didn't work in the normal, fingers inside the pilot manner. There's just not enough of a lip to grab. So I dremel'd 2 slots on the outside of the pilot and flipped the fingers around. I used a C-clamp on the fingers to keep them on there. I removed the big U part of the removal tool (and the big nut too). I put a socket inside the pilot and a nut on the end of the small threaded part of the long screw of the tool (otherwise it would be pressing against threads which would just tear out). The force was applied to the socket and the inside of the pilot rather than the crank (as the tool was originally intended). Eventually the pilot started to budge. The fingers on the tool flexed quite a bit. I used half a can of WD40 (spraying it repeatedly over several days) on the pilot.

I think I'm gonna wear this f*cker around my neck as a trophy...

Back