• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Add another one to the list....

EvanSDSVT

CEG'er
I just got a new daily driver for the time being while I work on the Contour. So that brings my total up to four cars... How many is too many? I dunno but I want to keep them all for now... So I use the van for hauling pretty much on a daily basis, but it is by no means a daily driver (electrical issues). The Mustang and Contour are my projects and seeing as I cant decide which one I like more they will slow each other down considerably. But the saturn is new to me. Its in alright shape on the outside but I want to buy a new cloth interior, The leather is old and really dirty and it gets way too hot in summer for leather in san diego. This is going to be a fun summer...

You know; I had a 95 Saturn SL2, and it was the most perfect, trouble-free car I have ever owned, bar none. I miss it, actually; it was very cool.

www.saturnfans.com is the end-all, be-all Saturn forum for everything. www.turbosaturns.net is the site for making them go fast (although for a daily, you might want to skip that...LOL).

thanks for the tip, I wont be doing much to this car other than the int. and that is not first on my list right now.. First everyone gets an oil change, then everyone gets brakes.

Anyone know if i can use my E0 svt rims and tires on my saturn?

i dont really feel like buying new tires for that too and the contour isnt going anywhere for a while... they are both 4- lug patterns i think im just not sure what size right now.

The Saturn bolt pattern is 4x100, so we can't swap rims. I have a set of E1 rims that I think would look awesome on my Saturn, but alas, no.

my brother has a 98 SC1, and it has been great to him so far. it runs alittle rough but that is to be expected from a small 4 banger with over 100K miles on it. He has gotten up to 41 mpg on the highway during the summer....and the wind at his back LOL.

I am liking this car more and more the more i hear about it. I just changed the oil on it and it was soo easy.. well most cars are... the only trouble was finding the filter in the back. took it around the block today too. and she drives real nice. nothing like the contour tho :rolleyes:

... the only trouble was finding the filter in the back.

The filter placement is a little ridiculous. I've taken to removing the pass.wheel and pulling the small splash guard, and accessing it from there. It saves on the fumbling around bit.

when I was looking for my first car I test drove a Saturn and was not impressed with it at all ....
Agreed .. my sister has a second-gen SC1 and it's quite the rattlebox. But it has been wicked reliable considering she does absolutely nothing to maintain it .. far better luck than I've had with any of my cars.

Only impressions I have had with Saturn’s are bad. My buddy had a purple one I think it was an sl1 none painted bumpers. The thing was such a bad car. Never started if it got below like 10 degrees F. It ran dry on oil twice with no leaks, Went through batteries like the original Discman.

Maybe it was just a bad car? But from the sounds of thing they have gotten better so I hope you have a trouble free Saturn so you can spend all your time working on the contour.

All the gripes seem to be with SL1's and SC1's. These are the WORST of the WORST of the BASE MODEL WORST that Saturn produced. 85 or 100 horsepower, noisy SOHC engine, no rear sway bar, cheap seats and the whole 9.

The twin-cam Saturns are HEAD AND SHOULDERS above the "1" models. A decent 4-wheel independent suspension with sway bars all around, rear discs in some cases, and 2400 lbs. Very tossable, and plenty of fun (as long as you stay away from the slushbox).

Ill tell you something my saturn owes me nothing, I would buy another in a heartbeat. I got it in 2001 w/ 112k. Its has got me through 4 years of college 200 mile trips one way. and i still have it, and plan on keeping as long as i can. now it has 160k on it, other than a timing chain replacement no major work. None the less it not in too good of shade now (exhaust, ticky engine, water pump, brakes) but thats because i dont want to put alot of money it. Did I mention I got it for only $2500. Everyone calls it "the bomb".

Back