• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

full 3l swap

ive decided to go with the full 3l swap
first off it wont require as much work with head work and all
does any one have any dyno sheets on a full 3l swap 3l cams and heads and intake and all
my car is a dd i try not to run it hard to often

is the fuel rail the only thing that needs modifying in a full 3l swap?

my car is a 98 svt and id be using an escape engine

Last edited:
ive decided to go with the full 3l swap
first off it wont require as much work with head work and all
does any one have any dyno sheets on a full 3l swap 3l cams and heads and intake and all
my car is a dd i try not to run it hard to often

is the fuel rail the only thing that needs modifying in a full 3l swap?

my car is a 98 svt and id be using an escape engine

Yeah, Just take a fully mod'd 2.5L SVT contour dyno, drop a tad off the top end and add some more low end and midrange, and Voila. You have a straight full 3L swap..

i.e. they kinda suck unless you get a ringer.

I would think there would not be much difference to the power then what it was in the Escape. Just look up the Escape spec sheet. It might be a little different do to computer programming but should be close.

I would think there would not be much difference to the power then what it was in the Escape. Just look up the Escape spec sheet. It might be a little different do to computer programming but should be close.

waite, so are you saying that they're isnt much difference in performance from a 3L from a escape and and a 3L hybrid?
I have a 3L from an escape and a friend of mine has a 3L hybrid and it seems like he has a lot more high end power and my escape 3L has more torque than he does. does this sound right to you guys?

waite, so are you saying that they're isnt much difference in performance from a 3L from a escape and and a 3L hybrid?

No, the original question was about a straight 3L installation from an 04 Escape. That is what I was talking about.

The CSVT cams are different then the 3L cams, this would be the difference you are noticing. From what I have heard.

awesome numbers on the full 3l svt
with headers and some other bolt ons shouldnt be bad at all
i think ill do that dont have to crack the engine open
does anyone have some more info on the fuel rail issue?
and a few more question the oil pan will work on the escape right?
so when it comes to a full 3l
all you have to do is pull the old engine and stick the new one in?
get it tuned and what am i missing

Last edited:
I have a 3L from an escape and a friend of mine has a 3L hybrid and it seems like he has a lot more high end power and my escape 3L has more torque than he does. does this sound right to you guys?

Your feeling is correct. Most hybrids will smoke a straight 3L swap. The posted on FCO is a ringer WITH a tune. I would not take one dyno as representative of the whole range of motors. Now if more started popping up with great tuning and similar results then perhaps.

Honestly though the stock 3L is rated at 200/200 with factory equiped intake and exhaust. That's probably 180wHP. That could easily be pushed to 220/210 HP/TQ at the flywheel with just a good intake and exhaust.

The Average hybrids drop 200/190 wheel HP/TQ with stock contour intake/exhaust....with up to 20 more wHP available with good tuning. And that is without headers also.
My 217wHP hybrid with no tune and no headers but with big air filter and proM maf and others like it pretty much backs that up.

By the way, Headers don't usually give you much more peak HP. They give you better low-midrange torque. So the presence or absence of headers is not a good evaluation of peak power. It is more relevant when talking about area under the curve, or 1/4 mile times.

ok i read through this so on the curve which is better. my car is a dd and i usually dont take it past 5thousand rpms. which is going to be the best. the full 3l , 3l with the 2.5 intake or the 3l with the 2.5 heads on up?

i hope this gets answered becuase it will truely decide which i go for

Back