• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

looking for some install help-WR Headers,WR Y-pipe,suspension swap (Pgh area)

teamSVTour

Hard-core CEG'er
Well my WR headers, WR Y-pipe, and flex pipe have been collecting dust for a while and I would really like to put these on. I'm not sure if it is possible to put the Y-pipe on now though w/ the rest of the exhaust being stock (b/c of the # of bolt setup). Anyway I would at least like to put the headers on but I have absolutely no knowledge/experience doing so nor am 100% sure on what all I need. If anyone would be willing to help me out and do this install for food, beer, $ etc. (name your poison) I would appreciate it. Garages are just a rip off and I would much rather give my business to another CEG'r. I of course would help as much as I can as I am not one to just stand around and I enjoy getting my hands dirty working on this platform.

Also I just received my koni's and B&G's that I really want to put on. So if anyone would want to do this install also please let me know. I'm located right around the Pittsburgh area and would be willing to drive an hour or so if need be. The weather is getting nice and I'm getting antsy to throw these parts on.

I was speaking to Scott (GetSum) about the install but I noticed he is really swamped w/ the issues his car is giving him right now. I'm sure he is backed up so that's why I'm posting this. Also Scott if you still can swing these definitely let me know.

Thanks guys.

Yes, I can give you a hand, looks like mine is going nowhere. How's next weekend sound? gotta firm up the plans, but anyone who wants to lend a hand is welcome to swing by. Let you all know for sure tomorrow.

This would be for the suspension. The headers should wait till I get mine on and see if I know what I'm doing.

suspension swap and rim show....nice! I'm not throwing all my other "summertime" goodies on for another couple of weeks yet. Waiting for Spring to officially break through.

Scott, let me know whenever you find out. It might be a tad colder next weekend (high's in the lower 40's according to weatherbug) so it's your call. I promised the g/f to do something w/ her on the Sat the 17th (St. Patty's and she's Irish) so Sunday would be better but also the weekend of the 24th might be a better idea as it could be a little warmer.

The 24th would be better as I have A Kung Fu demonstration on the 18th. Mike, ded. welcome to show your rims then, and anyone else is welcome, too. Grant, Ryan, Rob, anyone. :laugh: I'm not picky.

Cool, the 24th it is. Lets pencil that date in for now. If something comes up then we can let each other know. Would it be taking place in your driveway or a garage just so I know if it is weather dependent and it calls for rain we would need to reschedule.

P.S. what's your poison again? So I know what to pay you in :laugh:. You can PM me the details to keep it confidential :D

Headers, it's really not that hard of a job. Make sure you have all the tools on the list and spray everything down with PB Blaster.

The only real PITA is the EGR valve, you have to break it free and cut it to install the compression fitting. You'll need a big wrench and a hammer, a few good hits and it will come loose.

Have some anti-seize handy also. I would recommend getting new studs and nuts too, better safe than sorry.

Scott has my number if you run into any issues, feel free to call.

the 24 sounds a bit bit better as i am going to the burgh on the 17th for the parade then to the bar for a while. my rims are not the best. i got them used but they are much better the stock se rims. :)

the 24 sounds a bit bit better as i am going to the burgh on the 17th for the parade then to the bar for a while. my rims are not the best. i got them used but they are much better the stock se rims. :)

Hell Yea I'll be down there too. M2 (Market Square for the non-locals) is where it's at.....green beer to tha neck!

1st time drinking since New Year's (which i had about 1 beer). I'll be the 225lb 2 beer queer :laugh:. Don't really drink anymore but this holiday is insane in Pittsburgh so I have to celebrate. I seriously think ppl here celebrate this holiday more than New Years.

I'd do the suspension swap for you. in return for a case of bud n/p. just too far away !

n/p?

I'd definitely take you up on your offer if you were closer man. But that drive was insane :laugh:. Actually shorter than I had thought but still very long. And to think if something happened to the suspension during the drive home. I'd be up sh*t creek

nothing would happen man!

i've got 2 or 3 swaps under my belt (inculding my own car)...got the swap time down to about 3 hours. it's really straight forward actually, just gotta find a spring compressor to rent. the exhaust is probably doable too, but i'm not willing to deal with the rusty bolts and broken knuckles.

Don't worry, I've done a few, on Mustangs and Contours, it'll be fine. I've got a garage, so in case it rains, we're good. Should be a good time, looking foward to it.:laugh:

3lb mini sledge is your friend.

based on what my exhaust bolts looked like when i had the oil pan gasket done, no sir i wouldn't touch that with a 10ft pole.

EDIT: also make sure whoever you get to stand on the lca so you can remove the front strus(s) has a firm footing so they don't slip off it smashing your thumb between it and the bottom of the strut. Bone bruises suck, especially when you've got 3 more struts/springs to go.

Last edited:
Back