• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

how hard is it to replace synchros?

99tour

Be Gentle I'm New Here
My trans needs to be rebuilt due to grinding and hard shifting.
How hard is it to put the synchros in. Do I need special tools to pull the gears off the shafts or does everything just slide out and come apart?
I just want to know if its fairly straight forward or if it's more complicated that.

thanks.

I am going to say if you need to ask then it is most likely beyond you ... no disrespect or anything ... you might want to contact terry haines over on fco to have your mtx rebuilt ...

If you think you are handy about such things, get yourself a manual and read it over and decide for yourself if it is beyond you or not.

The correct fluid helps a lot. It may be worth changing the fluid before going into the trans.

If you think you are handy about such things, get yourself a manual and read it over and decide for yourself if it is beyond you or not.

The correct fluid helps a lot. It may be worth changing the fluid before going into the trans.

I changed to synchromax a few months ago. it helped a bit but I still want to do a rebuild.
I've done almost every kind of repair on the car myself and have many tools, I 've never had to get into a manual tranny though. I'll try picking up a manual to see if that helps.

thanks

I'm thinking about tackling this myself and the Ford CD is pretty detailed on how to do it. While this post is here I'll ask a few questions I have myself. Is there any way to visually inspect this while still in the tranmission...I'm thinking no but I might as well try.

Well I have the transmission sitting in my basement right now and I can easily take it apart. It's sitting and waiting until I drop in the 3L and I already have the Torsen installed. I was just wondering if I could inspect the syncro visually while the tranny is apart.

ummm.... how about just getting a new tranny?

standard.jpg

Dry Humor....

Dry Humor....

thanks for the great support. One can get a good tranny out of a salvage yard for a good price of about a set of synchros.

And who is to say that is mystery tranny you pull out of the junkyard doesn't have shot syncros too? You're better off just replacing them. I just sent my stuff in to Terry and he inspected and replaced everything needed for very cheap!

touche. well i wouldn't trust myself to do it anyway. but one must consider their car's worth to the repair bill. For example my car is at the most is worth about 1,500. A tranny repair in my area would a the least cost as much.

touche. .......but one must consider their car's worth to the repair bill. For example my car is at the most is worth about 1,500. A tranny repair in my area would a the least cost as much.

My car is worth $1,500 too. My yearly maintenance and repairs is expected to be $2,500 this year. Should I not spend any money on maintenance and repairs to keep it in a good running condition (rethorical question)? :shrug:

Back