• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Removing bumper cover?

Apex

CEG'er
Ok, I wanted to remove the grille on my Styque, but found that there were 4 screws from the bottom. It looks like that they are blocked by a beam, so the removal of the cover is necessary?

What is the easiest way ( before I break stuff :( ).

I don't think there are any screws to remove to take off the grille. If it's the same as a tour, which i have no reason to believe it's different, it should just be a couple screws from the top. Other wise hook strap to bumper, hook other end to something stationary IE basket ball pole, and reverse.:laugh:

I don't think there are any screws to remove to take off the grille. If it's the same as a tour, which i have no reason to believe it's different, it should just be a couple screws from the top. Other wise hook strap to bumper, hook other end to something stationary IE basket ball pole, and reverse.:laugh:

I can see four screws going in from the bottom... Unfortunately they are blocked by the impact bar, so it looks like the bumper cover has to come off first.

i doubt thats the case. my buddy thought he had to remove the bumper assembly to get the headlights out of his accord. after getting the new lights in, i surprised him by unscrewing everything and popping out both headlights when he wasnt looking. never needed to take off the front bumper

i doubt thats the case. my buddy thought he had to remove the bumper assembly to get the headlights out of his accord. after getting the new lights in, i surprised him by unscrewing everything and popping out both headlights when he wasnt looking. never needed to take off the front bumper

I can see the ends of the 4 screws sticking through the grille, coming in from underneath the bumper cover. :(

Apex,

Alex is a 'tard, pay no attention to him. :p

There are 4 screws on top and 4 on bottom. The bottom screws can be removed with a 90 degree bent screwdriver or allen key (use a mirror to see if your screws are phillips or allen head)...I've done a few grilles this way. You need to tilt the grille forward to get to the heads. It's time consuming, but doable.

If there's a lot of corrosion, you can either take the bumper cover off (not too hard, I wrote a little how-to for mystiques, search around) or cut the clips/screws.

When reinstalling the grille, you can modify it to make the process a lot easier, look at my posts in the mesh grille how-to on the old site for details.

Apex,

Alex is a 'tard, pay no attention to him. :p

There are 4 screws on top and 4 on bottom. The bottom screws can be removed with a 90 degree bent screwdriver or allen key (use a mirror to see if your screws are phillips or allen head)...I've done a few grilles this way. You need to tilt the grille forward to get to the heads. It's time consuming, but doable.

If there's a lot of corrosion, you can either take the bumper cover off (not too hard, I wrote a little how-to for mystiques, search around) or cut the clips/screws.

When reinstalling the grille, you can modify it to make the process a lot easier, look at my posts in the mesh grille how-to on the old site for details.

Thanks! ;)

I forgot about the old forums, I'm heading over there now. ;)

Edit : Found it, and also found your pics and stuff on the grilles, nice stuff, giving me some ideas for sure... ;)

Last edited:
Yep I had the same issue with my 98 Mystique. Hey I hope Danny gave you a good price to paint your car :).

Aaron

:(

I didn't get around to it yet... >_<

I want to de-chrome the grille first anyways... so it can be painted with the rest of the car... ;)

I had to take the grille off my car and I when I reinstalled it I only used the top 4 screws. It doesnt move around at all and I have had no problems.

I also painted it. I used a plastic primer and than put a few base coats on and then a few clear coats. So far, its been about 8 months there has been no problems with it.

Good Luck,
Dan

Back