• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

great idea wondering if it can be done

trhlz1222

Veteran CEG'er
well i was on my way to the airport today and got to talkin to my father about the svt. he hasnt seen it yet cause i havent drove it home from college in nc to ny yet. he will this summer tho. i told him my plans of exhaust new struts and to lower it. maybe shave the handles and paint it. thats when he said i should try to chop it. has anyone ever done this with the tour or is it not possible. as of right now it is until someone tells me it isnt and im going to try it this summer. if someones done it some pictures would be awesome. if not dont take my idea....ill be the first.

exhaust, struts, repaint....all plausible....

a chop top contour....hmmm...alot of $$ custom work and a huge loss of headroom...save it for the hot rods...

A chopped top could definately be done, but it certainly isn't a project for the faint of heart. The windshield could probably be raked and you could cut the stock glass to use, but in the back, I think you might need to have custom rounded glass done for it to have a chance at looking decent. Not a cheap or easy thing by any means. Side glass, I'm not sure, I'd think you could cut the stock glass to work, but I'm just not sure.

well where im located in new york my dad said there is a place that can come in and measure the window size and make it which means i could get windows for it. just $$$. that also means i could have it dipped instead of the crappy film tint. by the way for those who lack headroom already how tall are u?

I think it would look good and it'll work since your shorter, no offense. But as with every other mod money you can get an estimate but I see something like easily costing big bucks.

oh. my father and uncle both can weld grind. my dad has worked in a machine shop all his life and my uncle was in the military working on tanks and has working on small big huge and tiny machines all his life. so i would do it myself. is there anywheres i could have a picture drawn of my car but with the plans already done to it like a future drawing?

You can do it, but I don't know how well your rear windows are going to go down anymore, IIRC the shape of the rear door prevents the glass from going down any farther than where it does when you put them all the way down, so you're definitely gonna have to have those not only cut, but you should think about how far they are realistically going to go down after a chop. If it doesn't bother you, and you have the money, do it.

would they go about where child windows are located? or is that where they go down right now? i dont remember never been in the back seat

I am pretty sure the windows only go that far down due to the rear wheel wells. Not child safety windows.

Honestly, it's a waste of money on a car like ours. Remember one thing - at the end of the day it's a Contour and when you finally realize it's time to sell it, down the road, you won't be able to sell it with a chopped top, let alone get your money back on it.

I dont know...

its a contour, not a choptour (that is unless its in a boneyard)

Chop top = sweet hot rod

Chop top contour = 4 door FWD performance sedan that looks like something is missing.

i dont plan on selling this car. and that is why i wanted to try and find someone that could come up with a sketch for me before i did it so i know if i would like it or not.

Back