• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SVT UIM Question???

Yawak

CEG'er
Just got my SVT UIM/LIM, but i noticed that a tube coming from the UIM, the one that sits right next to the IAC, got a little bent from the shipping. Is this going to be a problem? Or can i just pull it off and use the one on my SE? :help:

it's pressed in.. so I'm not sure you can pull it off your SE. As long as it'll hook up to the pcv and it's not bent so flow is restricted, you should be ok. If it's broken, I think it would be better to tap the UIM and just get an appropriately sized pipe->barb adapter to screw into it.

it's pressed in.. so I'm not sure you can pull it off your SE. As long as it'll hook up to the pcv and it's not bent so flow is restricted, you should be ok. If it's broken, I think it would be better to tap the UIM and just get an appropriately sized pipe->barb adapter to screw into it.

it's not bent that bad, just enough to notice and it's not restricting any flow, from the looks of it. i have actually seen a UIM being sold on ebay without this pipe; that's why i thought u could remove it. :ponder:

I'm still trying to picture this one... I guess I haven't looked at my car, but if you could post a picture (they are worth a 1000 words) we would probably have a better idea...

I'm still trying to picture this one... I guess I haven't looked at my car, but if you could post a picture (they are worth a 1000 words) we would probably have a better idea...

ummm, i dont know how to post pics..... :help:

get a photobucket account, upload the pics from your computer on it, and just copy and paste the IMG code they give you. cant get any easier

I've seen the thing he's talkin' about. Came loose in my first V-6 Contour after it got sandwiched. I just shoved it back in & tapped it with a plastic mallet. It held firm, so I let it be. If all else fails, looks like a good job for a little smear around the pipe with JB weld or liquid metal.

Many yrs. ago I got an SVT UIM shipped to me from a wreckers in OH. Basically, they threw the UIM in a box and shipped it. Both the IAC tube and the PCV/EFE tubes were bent. I was able to pull out the IAC tube and using a mandrel straighten it a little bit. Then I tapped it back in and used some metallic epoxy to seal it.

The PCV tube eventually broke right off and turned out to be a much bigger problem. I didn't want to scrap the UIM, so I had to very carefully drill out the remaining metal tube which was stuck inside the UIM. The aluminum casting is a lot softer than the steel tube and the drill wanders towards the AL. Eventually, I got all the steel bits out and then I drilled and tapped the UIM for a custom made brass fitting with a pipe thread.

If you get the air leak/lean codes (IIRC 0171 & 0174) you've got a problem.

yes, they do pull out. and yes, they are the same as any other V6. The problem is that with age and heat, the tab that holds the hose can break very easily when you pull the hose out.

I would try to see if the clip that hols the hose in can be had new from the dealership. I haven't asked myself and I always forget to do that.

heres an idea of what i had to deal with when replacing the uim...

burnedsvt.jpg

i had to replace every fitting and every line. no one will see what it looks like now until SZ :)

hahaha, it was a junked svt. picked it up for a couple bucks. i've got the LIM too if anyone wants it. its in a LOT better shape than that UIM was. theres pics of the car if you search "looky what i found"

Back