• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Pic Request: Door handle LED mod

hotdimmes

Hard-core CEG'er
If you've done this mod(putting an LED in the door handle well, behind the lock and handle) then please post some pics along with pertinent info like the type of led used, mcd, veiwing angle, etc.

Autozone, 12V high intensity LED. Ready to install (resistor already wired in).

Take off door panel, drill straight down right above where the original light would have been (on a pre98 the light goes in from the side, where as you need an LED to shine down). Install LED. Wire up.

Done.

EDIT: this will help you if you decide on an LED that doesn't have a built in resistor:

Resistor calculator Just enter the numbers for a single LED... if you are going to use 2 or more LEDs in series, add the forward operating voltage together, and put the sum in the box.

Last edited:
BDK comes through with sweet info once again. Thanks man. The main reason I posted this though was to see the differences in how certain viewing angles or LED intensities light up the well so I know what would be ideal for me.

Mine were pre-wired red LEDs from Radio Smack. Came with the collar to mount it.

2276320_7_full.jpg

BDK comes through with sweet info once again. Thanks man. The main reason I posted this though was to see the differences in how certain viewing angles or LED intensities light up the well so I know what would be ideal for me.

No problemo!

In this application, I don't think it really matters about the viewing angle, but wider is better (so the entire handle area is lit).

Maybe I can throw my 360° viewing angle LEDs in there... The 360° LEDs are not much brighter than a stock incandescent instrument cluster lamp.

Last edited:
The widest angle 5mm red LED on sbl is 60 degrees but with an mcd of 1500 which makes sense since it's diffused, low light, even spread. I just want to be sure I can go with a lower viewing angle and a bit brighter like the 45 degree 3000mcd. I really have no idea whats too bright and not bright enough for this application.

Yeah, its sooo sweet looking. I was in my friend's audi that had it and i was all like :drool: I can't wait till my interior lighting conversion is done.

I don't remember the mcd of the LEDs I used but they turn out awesome (blue in pic not as bright in real life)

P8160016.jpg

Back