• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

my car hates me

ford4fun

New CEG'er
When I went out to start the car yesterday, in the 7 degree weather, it would not start. Then , at noon, I tried it again. It fired right up. I thought it was a fluke until this morning. It happened again.

My car is a '98SE 2.5l 5 speed with about 80,000

Sounds like a ground issue to me. The cold could be making some wires move a bit, double check connections at the battery and at the starter.

how is the health of your battery? any car is going to be hard to start in 7 degree weather .... hell I have a new battery in mine and it was slow to start the last two mornings ....

The battery was fine yesterday. it cranked over strong. now this morning I tried to many times and had to put the battery on the charger.

The battery was fine yesterday. it cranked over strong. now this morning I tried to many times and had to put the battery on the charger.

Wait what? a battery shouldnt wear out that fast...

a friend of mine and I were working on a Saturn that wouldnt started, we cranked that thing over and over again all day after trying to figure out what the problem was, the battery never died....

I cranked on it for some time this morning before typing these.

lately things seem to be going wrong. last month it was the coil. last week i found the crank sensor unplugged. What bugs me here is the fact that yesterday when I tried at about 2:00 when it was 30+degrees it started. I thought maybe I got water in the gas somehow. Possible?

I just got home and tried to start the car again. It fires but will not quite start. What could be causing this? I also think I should put a battery in it.

I'd recheck the coil pack and crank sensor connectors. Are you able to recharge the battery overnight with a charger?

Probably is water, get some alcohol water remover (HEET or other product). Even if that's not the problem, it'll help anyway

Back