• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Quick question for you all.

Here's something close...feel free to add your own smoke...:)

uniquewhips.jpg

-Update-

The heat shield is rattling like *******, so it sounds like complete ****. I have an appointment at 9:30 Friday Morning to put it up on the lift and get a rough estimate from the exhaust shop on what it's going to cost, and to see what bends are still good and reusable to keep the cost to a minimum. I'm going to go ahead and get the Magnaflows installed as well, but I'm going to be running around tip-less for a week or two. till I can figure out which ones I want.

So post links and pics to suggestions! Keep in mind I'm on a tight budget and I don't want anything ricey. :laugh:

-Update-

The heat shield is rattling like *******, so it sounds like complete ****. I have an appointment at 9:30 Friday Morning to put it up on the lift and get a rough estimate from the exhaust shop on what it's going to cost, and to see what bends are still good and reusable to keep the cost to a minimum. I'm going to go ahead and get the Magnaflows installed as well, but I'm going to be running around tip-less for a week or two. till I can figure out which ones I want.

So post links and pics to suggestions! Keep in mind I'm on a tight budget and I don't want anything ricey. :laugh:

Quoting so it doesn't get buried.

I don't see a point to it either, but some Volkswagen tried to impress us by chirping one wheel. So on my way out, I felt I needed to show how it's done. Besides, it was a fun meet...why not end it on an interesting note?

because that interesting note is gonna cost you a few thousand green notes when you glaze the clutch. i don't think that will fit well with your "tight" budget :crazy:

you make the argument that you've only done it 3 times. Ok, well in the 5+ years i owned the car i did it like 3 times! There is no such thing as a "safe" clutch dump with these cars, you're just not going to blow the diff out the side of the trans. It is a good clutch, it's smooth and strong - but it is kevlar and it will glaze on you. it's not designed for that kind of driving. i don't wanna start an argument, but i hope i don't have to say i told you so.

Last edited:
If you can't have a little fun, then what's the point in buying something like that? The clutch is rated (from what I've found) ~380 ft-lb Torque. The car would have NEVER seen those numbers. Not to mention it's recommended for "Street, Drag, Pulling, Autocross." I don't see any threat with burning out after dropping from a relatively low RPM that the stock clutch can even handle.

Yeah it's Kevlar, I'm well aware it can glaze...but it's not glass. It's not like I'm sitting there feathering it and riding it so it's heating up and getting a crap load of friction.

I know he is, and I really do appreciate it. Even if I sounded full of angst, I wasn't aiming to sound like an ass. If it was designed to withstand drag, that requires some excessive dumps on the clutch...that's all I was trying to get at.

Ideas and suggestions for tips please!

I'm sure we don't want to see Pep Boys Special on it. :laugh:

Last edited:
Back