• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My Cold Air Intake Setup

Black98 I was just asking where you bought your intake from you don't need to rub anything anywhere! Looks like I'll just have to build my own since they don't make it anymore cause there is no way I'm going to pay twice what you did for your kit. The only reason I'm a "newbie" is because I have better things to do with my time than sit on my computer.

yeah, sorry. lol, i just couldnt resist! they actually werent gonna send me the intake. 4 months later, it was on my porch. 2 days before Spring Zing. as for making one, it shouldnt be too hard. the bends arent very complicated at all. keep in mind that your fuse box will be in the way and you will have to drill a hole in the fender well to make it a true cold air setup. i relocated my battery and made a custom bracket for the fuse panel. just ask billdo how much fun we had that day :)

No problem it's just been frustrating trying to find one yours is the first true cai I've seen. I'll have to do some looking to find the right piping but it shouldn't be too hard and relocating the batt is no problem. That is a very nice setup you've got.

I'll pm the guy running the gb. But to give further evidence that cutting a big hole next to your fuse box is unneeded, the Nautilus kit has a pipe going out the fender draw hole too.

I'll pm the guy running the gb. But to give further evidence that cutting a big hole next to your fuse box is unneeded, the Nautilus kit has a pipe going out the fender draw hole too.

look in your engine bay again. beneath the battery, theres a coolant line, a transmission, and a crossmember. if you want the intake to be where it is supposed to be(above the splash shield), you HAVE to drill the hole. there is no where to cram a 3" pipe through

The aluminum pipe goes through the same fender draw hole that the OEM intake used (rubber snorkel). More than enough room for the 3" pipe if it goes in at the required angle. So much room that I think a 3.25" pipe might even fit.

About under the battery... some people have run it that route, but that's a poor design -- to run through that heat infested area.

The aluminum pipe goes through the same fender draw hole that the OEM intake used (rubber snorkel). More than enough room for the 3" pipe if it goes in at the required angle. So much room that I think a 3.25" pipe might even fit.

About under the battery... some people have run it that route, but that's a poor design -- to run through that heat infested area.

i wouldnt know. my car never came with a snorkel :confused: theres no hole for it either

Alright I've come up with a plan of what I'm going to do. I'm going to buy a weapon R short ram intake so i get the maf adapter and all that side of it then I'm going to buy a 90 and a 45 degree piping and silicone couplers then I'll top it off with a K&N filter and a aem bypass valve. Sound good? It should come out alot like the custon cougars cai. Of course I'll put the batt in the trunk and make a bracket for the fuse box.

Last edited:
Alright I've come up with a plan of what I'm going to do. I'm going to buy a weapon R short ram intake so i get the maf adapter and all that side of it then I'm going to buy a 90 and a 45 degree piping and silicone couplers then I'll top it off with a K&N filter and a aem bypass valve. Sound good? It should come out alot like the custon cougars cai. Of course I'll put the batt in the trunk and make a bracket for the fuse box.
If your battery is in the trunk, then you can just move the fuse box mount over, so it bolts into where the battery mount was bolted.

About the Cougar gb... he's on here too (azbobbybooshay10) and I think he just pieced it together.

Black 98 CSVT: You don't have a triangleish shaped hole beside your fuse box?

nope. my car is weird. no sunroof, no options...

Crazy no sunroof no options??? Thats the first I heard of that. Mine didn't come with a spoiler, thankfully cause I really don't like the way they look.

Morbid thanks I'll try and pm him and find out what the deal is, apperciate the help.

Wierd, there should be a hard rubber snorkle / tube that runs along the driver side fender and turns towards your intake. its not completely round. the hole that faces your intake tube is then, it squishes down to fit along side the fuse box, and runs down into the wheel well (under batter/fuse box & above the wheel well plastic lining) i don't think thats any sort of option, its just standard, the way they all came built. look again, if its not there someone has completely taken it out. i left mine in to just let is do its job and flow air into my intake area. i just trimmed down the circle part that goes to the intake to make room for my heatshield/filter. i plan on removing the snorkle completely and running like an exhaust vent tubing down to the driver's side fog light, and removing the fog. as to create a 'ram air' essentially. i'll paint it black on, and even the inside so you can't see it very good from the fog light housing

Back