• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My Cold Air Intake Setup

Goonz SVT

Hard-core CEG'er
I thought I'd share my intake setup since the most talked about intake at the moment is the ru-3530. I had the ru-3530 untill i noticed that all I heard from my car was intake and not an even level of intake and my borla. I went a different route and persued the Custom Cougars CAI. This is what I got:

Custom Cougars CAI
AEM 3" Bypass Valve*
K&N RF1047 (carbon fiber cap)*

*purchased seperatly

CAI.jpg

CAI1.jpg

CAI2.jpg

I bought the AEM 3" Bypass valve to prevent hydro locking in my engine and so far I've been very very happy. Ive driven the car through floods and New England weather with absoloutly no problems. The intake also as seen in the picture above came with a cheapo Bomz reverse cone filter that I refused to put on, I decided to get the K&N RF-1047 which has been great as well. The overall intake was a pita to install, nothing fit basically, I had to cut alot of the bottom piping to raise the filter since it was tooo low and adding the bypass valve added more length to the filter. In the end everything was good. I've had it on for about a year now and I love it. Its very low rumbly cruising in the city but when you get on it, you really hear the intake then. It has a very subtle sound. This is what it is now..

5DSC02278.jpg

6f06b248.jpg

6ab257eb.jpg

3c976acb.jpg

How do you have that much room between your fuse box and the fender? I can't even fit my fingers between there. The edge of my fuse box cover has scratches on it from taking it off and scraping it off the lip of the fender b/c its so tight.

Maybe its the battery :ponder: but I've never touched the fuse box or moved it so I dunno.

I cut half the battery tray so only the battery is on it, the fuse box honestly is just hanging there, but it wont move anywhere, its tight in between..and yes my battery is small. I have to look for a new one equivalent to that size mine has been leaking for some time now..:eek:

Here's a good reference pic of the hole:
ModMeetMarch20th20055.jpg

Much thanks to my friends for knowing where to get everything right the first and only time :cool:

Its the best looking intake setup.. But with headers, y-pipe, and Trubendz resonated magnaflow.. i can barly hear the intake sound anymore.. its all sexy exhaust.

Its the best looking intake setup.. But with headers, y-pipe, and Trubendz resonated magnaflow.. i can barly hear the intake sound anymore.. its all sexy exhaust.

I can def. hear my intake when i get on it, and the whisteling sound of the air being sucked in..

Interesting, the first induction tube (between the engine and the maf) looks just like the Weapon R chrome kit. In fact the gray plastic connection tubes are from the same kit.

pretty much, i hate the stupid gray color!! I wanted black..and the pipes are weird too, they arent polished, I wanted a more chrome tubing..bling bling..im sure the chrome tubing woulda looked hott :)

What site did you purchase the custom cougars sold air intake from I've been searching and the only one I seem to find is the Injen one for the Cougar. Is that the one you used??? I really dig your setup and am looking to do something very similar.

What site did you purchase the custom cougars sold air intake from I've been searching and the only one I seem to find is the Injen one for the Cougar. Is that the one you used??? I really dig your setup and am looking to do something very similar.

Needs less bumping old threads, more PMing. Send Goonz a Personal Message.

they dont make it anymore. i got the last one :) if you would have asked about a month ago, they would have made one more. give me twice what i paid and its yours :laugh:

ohhh baby, i love rubbing into a newbies face

IMG_0570.jpg

Last edited:
this is what the kit came with ...

1 - 90 degree bend 3" tubing
1 - 45 degree bend 3" tubing
1 - MAF adaptor
2 - plastic couplers to put the whole thing together. (save money on these and get the silicone couplers, I bought vibrant performance 3 ply)

The kit never did come with stainless straps so you may want to get some of those as well. No instructions but I can tell you this ... You WILL need to do a battery relocation and a power fuse box relocation (just push it off to the side) you WILL need to drill a 3.25" - 4" hole in your engine bay where the power fuse box used to sit.

You can fit a 3" - 3.25" pipe through the fender draw hole (at an angle) and don't need to cut that hole. Looks like a gb is going to be starting on neco for it, but it looks like basic pipes and silicone. I know the 3" fits fine... and seemed like there was enough room for a 3.25" pipe.

You can fit a 3" - 3.25" pipe through the fender draw hole (at an angle) and don't need to cut that hole. Looks like a gb is going to be starting on neco for it, but it looks like basic pipes and silicone. I know the 3" fits fine... and seemed like there was enough room for a 3.25" pipe.

Have them post a gb over here also if you can.

I haven't seen any pictures that doesn't have the hole cut. If anybody has done this without cutting, I wouldn't mind seeing pictures. I personally cut the hole. It wasn't a big deal. Didn't even have to remove the bumper for the air filter install either. I Just removed the shroud and horn for the install.

Black98 I was just asking where you bought your intake from you don't need to rub anything anywhere! Looks like I'll just have to build my own since they don't make it anymore cause there is no way I'm going to pay twice what you did for your kit. The only reason I'm a "newbie" is because I have better things to do with my time than sit on my computer.

Back