• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Out of state, buying VA car

ESC

CEG'er
Hi guys, I need some insight. I recently won an ebay auction for a car in Virginia. I'll be bringing it back to Canada actually, so I've spent the last day looking into the paperwork, etc. Today I got a message from the seller stating:

"The car is still registered in the dealerships address who I bought it from, my name is on the title as the buyer though, I was just going to give you the title like that and let you register it in your name! A friend of mine that is a dealer told me I could do that so I was just trying to avoid the DMV if at all possible. Let me know if you need me to register it in my name . Here is the sellers address on the title"

I'm not sure how it works with the VA DMV, but this sounds a bit odd to me. Shouldn't the owner have a new title after it was purchased, and is there a time limit that they have to register the car within? I don't see how I could take ownership of a vehicle in which there's no where on the title for me to be listed as the new owner.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Ed

I could call the VA DMV office and see what they say tomorrow for you.

And it does seem a bit odd as you said that he owns the vehicle but it is titled to the dealership. Unless he had financing through the dealership and they are the lienholder. I would be looking into things abit deeper with this guy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230095586778

Ok, the car was apparently taken back by the dealer (not sure if it was classified as reposession). She knows the dealer and bought the car last week strictly to resell.

When I ran the VIN, everything came up as clear, is there anywhere else I can check to make sure there are no liens, etc on it. And if the car hasn't been registered, can the title transfer information just be changed to my name and processed with the DMV? I tried calling the DMV today, never got past the busy signal.

I have not. I didn't ask about the physical location of the car. She has the title, which lists the dealer as the seller and her as the buyer.

something doesn't seem right to me. Or am I confused?

She bought the vehicle to resell. Listed it on E-bay with no reserve and a short auction. She has a title with her as the buyer but the dealer took the car back from her.

One of these is not like the other.

Yeah something definitely sounds odd. How could she legally sell the vehicle if it's not hers to sell.

Unless maybe...the dealer has the title, and she filled out the back as you would when selling a car. Can it be sold that way? I'm trying to think back...it's been awhile since I've seen a title. At least I think that's how WV does it.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. The car was taken back by the dealership from the previous owner - who couldn't complete the payments. The current seller, she knows the dealership and bought it from them (I presume for cheap) to sell. She has the title, which shows the dealership as the seller and her as the buyer, but she hasn't signed it yet.

I got through to the DMV and they said a new title would have to be issued so she can be listed as the seller and I as the buyer, and I think I'll proceed that way. Bringing the car back across the border, I don't want any potentially sketchy looking paperwork.

To me it sounds as if she bought the car and doesn't want to register it, hence why her name is on the title as the buyer. I would insist she get a title in her name (it takes a one trip and they print it off at the DMV) that way its easier for you to register in Canada. Otherwise, I think your situation is going to turn into a huge headache.

I had a friend that used and may still do that. He would buy a car at Auction and when he recieved the Title he would not transfer it to his name or have his name listed on the Title. When he sold the car he would put the new buyers name where his would go. According to all records he never possessed the car.

He did that so that he could sell more than the 8 or so cars allowed by Oklahoma to be sold by an individual without being a licensed car dealer. It is very Illegal but to my knowledge he was never caught or questioned. He was by all means an Honest guy but he could not afford the requirements to be a car dealer.

There are usually more than one block on the back of the title. It is for transferrs between dealers but all that has to be done is everything filled out like she bought the car on the back. Then on the next set she would be the seller and sign as the seller and then you would be filled in as the buyer. no big deal really

Everybody posted good advice. I will chime in with my advice (and what you are leaning towards anyway). Don't bother unless you have a "clean" title. Even if you can get it back to Canada, you will probably end up having issues at home trying to get it registered.

There will be others for sale where you don't have to deal with all this "grey" issues. Check out our classifieds. ;)

I imagine she doesn't want to complete the title because then she'll have to pay the car tax. Don't let her pull that trick on you.

Back