• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Transmission Help Asap!!!!!

CSVT_2004

Hard-core CEG'er
I just got up this morning to go to school.... shifted to 1st, pulled forward to turn around, put it in reverse backed up, went to go for 1st again, nothing, wasn't pounding it or anything. Linkage is all intacked and hooked up, but nothing with the forward and backward movement of the shifter.... all is LOOSE!!! Counterweight still moves on top of tranny when gear is shifted.... Nut seems tight, does anyone know wtf is going on here???? I NEED HELP!!! I'm about ready to cry because this just doesn't make sense!! Please if you live near Sun Prairie I may need all the help I can get, because I don't know what is wrong.....

Last edited:
Does the shifter move around in a big circle like you can find any gears!?!? If so, then you probally broke your shift tower bolt.

I think you may be right, it won't hit any gears when I was trying it.... fixable, or ****ed?

Why WHy WHY WHY TODAY!?!??!! Worked fine last night, and for about 10 seconds this morning.... This is so frustrating!!!!

I'm assumeing based on that link that I can take 3 or 4 10mm bolts out and lift this piece straight up? OR is there more to it than that... no one really explains....

Stuck in reverse... just risked breaking it more by backing it up like 50 yards into our parking lot so it was off the street... had it parked on the right side of the street, but backwards.... should of took a pic... but... it's in a safe place now, but I don't have time to work on it... god I hope I can get this fixed quickly and soon! It saddens me to have my car in this state... my bro tells me I need to get a focus shift tower because apparently they are better... but I need to get it working first before I do that.... I need it to get to work and such.... I'll see what I can do, but if anyone has any more how-to on this puppy, it would be appreciated, allstyle12 PM'd me some instructions but all inputs are welcome and wanted... Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back